Saturday, November 18, 2006

Feature Article: "My Hometown" by Loose Cannon


----It is strange when a towns gets hot all the gossip that gets started. Scoot Cambron, better know to all you as Loose Cannon, has lived and help promote wrestling in Paragould, AR for almost all the local promoters. I find it funny that guys like Cannon get picked on for stupid crap all the time, but it is guys like that help put up posters and sell tickets in their hometowns that make small promotions work. Ron Spence returns tonight in Paragould with a show featuring “The Midnight Express’ [Bobby Eaton/Dennis Condrey]. The shit is being stirred and I am right there to help. LOL Well, let’s let Cannon tell you a few things about Northeast Arkansas promoting.

Feature Article: “My Hometown” by Loose Cannon

Ok promoting wrestling in Northeast Arkansas is like a marriage. You court it for a while then you commit and then you eventually divorce it. I’ve been helping promotions for years. Some of them come out head and some come out ahead. Let me touch on some of them.

NWF was promotion based here for years. I have helped Ron Spence [NWF promoter] promote it for years from hanging out flyers to etc. Spence was gifted in getting sponsors, but an asshole in paying you. He would come up with the most lame ass excuses in the world. He was also known to cancel shows to just keep the sponsor money. I know it and all the workers know it. This isn’t just me running at the mouth. Ron is running again and if he is lucky it will be about 3 times a year. If there is a dime to be made though, he will do it. He doesn’t care if he pays you or not – he will squirm his way out paying the rent on buildings to paying workers. If you call the Piggott or Wynne Armory, then they will tell you. Ron has this bad habit of stirring up shit to get a buzz out of me and guess what?? It worked this time.

The dumbass had asked to use the Hambones ring, but the Hambones wanted $150 up front. So, Spence decides he does not want to pay upfront. Spence then gets on message boards saying certain individuals saying there was not going to be a NWF show in Paragould, AR. Come on Spence – who said that?? Be a man and say who said it!!

I also have helped Randy Hales and PowerPro. I was asked by Hales if I could do the promoting while he sat on his ass elsewhere. I do the same – I put out flyers, I got it in the paper. I only then get fucked by Hales after they drawing good, he cut me loose. Never got a dime from them either. It’s my fault I guess.

KAW/Memphis Wrestling was the same way with Terry Golden. Golden more or less ask me the same thing – could I help promote Paragould for them?? They even used my promoter’s license. I was not only promoting it for them by flyers and local assess TV, but they were running under my promoter’s license. It is strange that is was a success also. I finally cut myself loose from them. I remember it use to drive Terry Golden and Randy Hales crazy cause I would be on live TV on Channel 5 for Hales and then do a house show for Golden that same night in Paragould.

ASWF – the same. I would help somewhat in promoting. After a while I cut ties with them too. The decision was a mutual one between both groups. It’s not I didn’t appreciate what ASWF was trying to do, but I wasn’t in the picture frame. They wanted to dig a hole and bury themselves and then try to crawl out and get some air.

ACW – the Cooks – SR & JR. God rest their souls. They were the same way – I got ton of flyers out and only in the end getting fucked. That was natural to me -- never get a dime and always put in the worst possible matches.

Now there have been a few times that I have had a good shake at the hand. Moondog Spot was good at running Paragould. I helped him out and he always treated me good with respect, but not PO wise. I am appreciative of him for the chances. Midnight Cowboy ran a show now and then. He always treated me very well. I am so grateful for him. I helped him and he helped me – we were both hometown boys. Kudos!!

There are many more, but I am closing with the last two I have promoted with in this town. OSCW started earlier this year. It was a promising company supposedly going to run every 2 weeks. Well, that never happened. I did help promote it for a number of months with hanging out flyers to putting up banners etc. It never came to be because of many things. One, the owner [Tony Stone] knew nothing about promoting a town. And, he didn’t know how to run a show, as he had someone do that for him also. This was great because the guy running the back knew exactly what he was doing. I was getting $5 here and $10 there, but I never expected WWE pay. Finally OSCW got wise and couldn’t run every 2 weeks and left the opening for another promotion to come in.

Finally, brings me to Arkansas Championship Wrestling. A very good promotion. Yes, I still help with the flyers, banners etc. But I am what I am supposed to be with this promotion. I am part of the show where I should be. Not because I help hanging out flyers. Not because I am the local boy and not because I am friends with the promotion. It is because I have worked by ass off for years. I am finally getting my “just-do” and I am internally grateful for the chance.

In closing, whether I see eye to eye on the current product or the other promotions I have worked with, I do what I can do to help. There is only a few above that actually helped me better myself and have been good to me. For all of those that I did not mention [and that is probably 20 other feds], all I have to say is fuck yourself for treating me like shit. Fuck yourself for spreading rumors. It is probably my fault on some cases and others to blame for other cases. But, I am judged by all of you. It’s my time to judge you – my judgment is?? Go to fucking hell!!