Friday, November 17, 2006

RassleTalk with “The Black Label Society – Chapter 4 : Word Association III” with "Axeman" Randall Lewis

This segment is composed of bits & pieces of an interview with AJ Bradley & Void, also known as Black Label Society. The interview date was Saturday, June 24, 2006, at the XOW Building in New Albany, MS. There was a great deal of background noise during the entire interview. Parts of what Void & AJ said were drowned out by the noise, but I have done my best to get it right. If there are errors, I apologize.


The comments and opinions expressed herein are those of Black Label Society (Void & AJ) only, and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of myself or anyone else.

**********************************************************
What do you think of Death Wish?

Void: Man, I tell you what, that guy’s got me fooled. I’ve heard a lot of things about Death Wish, you know, about his background, his shoot background and everything, and he is one of the nicest, most well-spoken, gentlemanly type guys, not that I had a pre-conceived notion about him being an ass hole or anything like that, but I just guarded up, you know, because of what I had heard, but he is a really nice guy. I really like him. He’s funny, he’s another one of those guys like Hollywood Jimmy, he’s gonna do something that is going to crack you in the ring. He’s got that mask on, and he can say anything to you, and the crowd can’t see him, but you’re sitting there laughing your ass off, and nobody knows why, which makes you look like a total idiot. He’s another one of those big guys who moves real good. He’s real fluid in the ring, real smooth, and he can chain wrestle, and we don’t always get to see that, because most people expect him to be that big monster, but just get his ass in the ring and let him wrestle. The guy can go, he can really go, and he’s solid, too. He looks big, like he’s overweight, but that dude is solid.

AJ: I really like Death Wish. I don’t know him real well, I’m not gonna sit here and say that we’re real great friends or anything like that, we live so far away that it’s kind of impossible anyway, but he’s always one of those people who is quick to say hey to you. He’s not one of those who sit around and wait for you to come to him. He sees you coming and his hand is already extended, waiting for you. That is rare sometimes, unfortunately.

How about “The Future” Chris Styles?

Void: What can you say about Chris Styles that has not already been said? I really like Chris, he’s a character. I don’t know why, but for some damn reason we have never worked together. We should, I guess, one of these days, but we just haven’t. He and I, we had a problem at one time. It was over the incident in Booneville, but that problem lasted about five or ten seconds, and then the smoke cleared and…. He’s one of those guys that, I wish I could run a show somewhere, I’d book him. He is one of those guys who can give you an ass whipping, but he can take an ass whipping, too. I would love to work with him, but we’ve never gotten to cross paths.

You mentioned the incident in Booneville. The next name on my list is Josh Matthews. So, without talking about the incident, let’s talk about Josh for a minute.

AJ: I love that kid.

Void: (Long silence). I really love that boy, I really do. I’m sorry, I really am, I’m sorry for what happened. He never held it against me. He never held anything against me. It was only his opinion that mattered. In SGWA I was his first tag team partner, when I first got brought in. He was kind of like, I don’t know what to do, and I was like, hey man, I’ve got this, we were babyfaces at the time. I looked at him and said I’ll take the heat, and he looked at me and said are you sure, are you sure you don’t want me to take the heat, and I said yeah, you come in here and run these guys, I’ll take the ass whipping, you know, wear the guys down, then Josh comes in and does his thing, I think we even went over that night, I don’t remember for sure. I would do anything in the world for him. There is nothing I wouldn’t do for Josh, not one damn thing. I tell you what, there had better not be anybody he needs put down, because I will put that son of a bitch in the ground for Josh.

How about Lord Humongous?

Void: I’ve only met him one time. He was real polite and real cordial to me. I had heard that he’s an ass hole, he’s this, he’s that, but when I met him he was a nice guy. He shook my hand and said nice to meet you. He’s cool as far as I’m concerned.

AJ: I’ve never met him.

OK, last name on my list, Ricky Murdoch.

Void: Ricky was my first match. Ricky had trained with me before, while Doug Gilbert was in Japan. Ricky made me feel like I could actually do something worth a damn in wrestling. Ricky was the one, and I’ll be honest, there was a time when I was thinking my stuff was not getting over, at the time I started professional wrestling, at the very beginning, I couldn’t do spots, I couldn’t do any of that stuff, and I told Ricky man, I’m never gonna get over. He said you’ve got to stay as a shoot style heel, body part, body part, body part, we don’t have guys like that, smaller guys that can work body parts. They don’t exist half the time. They’re too busy flying around the damn ring and trying to be luchadores, with all due respects to luchadores, man, I can sit back and watch that and appreciate all that athletic ability that, as Raven calls them, high spotketeers, hey, I’ve got a lot of respect for those guys. I prefer not to work against guys like that because I could not contribute anything to their match. They could contribute to mine, but I couldn’t contribute to theirs, because mine is like, go where I put you, and I don’t run people, I don’t do crazy spots, I don’t do anything like that, I just chain wrestle somebody. But Ricky, he kept me steady. I’ve got nothing but love for him. You know, you tend to grow apart after several years when you’ve worked together all the time, and Ricky was there since my first day of training. He worked with me and worked with me and worked with me, and he liked working with me because I liked to chain wrestle, and he throws these low drop kicks – dude, I’m the shortest guy in just about every locker room, and Ricky Murdoch throws drop kicks that hit me in the nether region. I don’t mind taking his chops, I can think of a few things I would rather do on a Sunday afternoon than take chops from Ricky Murdoch, but I would rather he chop me than drop kick me. He super-plexed me one night, and I had never taken a bump from anything higher than mid-body, I think it was about my fifth match, we were in Columbia, Tennessee, got paid $5.00 for driving five hours to do the show, anyway, Ricky puts me on the top rope, and I was thinking he was gonna have me shove him off or something like that, but he keeps coming up the ropes. All of a sudden he hooks me and says come on, and I said well hell, go, and he super-plexes me, and I mean I am on the top rope, and he is, too, and I am thinking to myself, oh shit, the whole way over I am thinking that. It didn’t tickle, but it didn’t paralyze me, either, which is what I thought would happen, you know, scared to death, but when it was over, I was wanting to jump up and charge at him, but I got to thinking, I don’t want to do that again, I don’t want to do that shit again (laughing). But he got me through a lot, and he put me over. He’s also the reason AJ and I are together as a tag team.

AJ: Ricky brought me in. Ricky had never seen me before, all he did was go on the word of somebody else, which was Doug Gilbert. Ricky brought me in sight unseen, and as things worked out, we ended up teaming a few times. That’s how we became a tag team.

Changing directions here, what do you think of Memphis Wrestling?

Void: I think it sucks ass. Honestly, I really do, I think it sucks ass.

AJ: They have so much potential and they keep screwing around. They’re not using it.

Void: Good God, man, they… as Rodney Grimes would say, who the hell am I? Could I do any better? I imagine I probably could. I could probably do better than some of the matches they have had. I mean, good Lord, man, Clash of the Legends, OK, it’s a good idea, and there’s some of those guys I really do want to see, but shut the hell up, not everybody you’ve got can work, they suck ass. It’s never going to be like it once was again. It’s never gonna be good again. It can’t be. You remember how Florida was back in the early 80’s, it was Florida and Memphis, and then the big groups from up north started coming down, they didn’t go to Los Angeles, man, they didn’t go to some places in Texas, they went after Tully Blanchard, and Bob Sweetan, and Randy Savage, he got his start down there, they were coming to Memphis and they were going into Florida and they were plucking these guys out, and it will never be the same again.

----I will be posting the last part of this interview next Friday. On December 1, 2006 I will start publishing a new RassleTalk with an area worker that actually has been interviewed by Stephanie McMahon for a job!! Also, that photo of AJ Bradley is with his pseudo brother BT Bradley -- a gimmick I did one night as a tribute to AJ, who was injured at the time.