Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Letter From Sir Mo - NBW and The Wrestling Business In General

----Sir Mo [Bobby Horne] sent the following letter to this site. It is a very interesting read. I responded to some of these comments in a letter to Mo. He responded back. I will be posting all of that in the next two days as part of a Three-part series. Also, if any of the area workers would like to respond to what Mo has said, then please e-mail me your comments. I plan to finish the article on Thursday with comments.

----For those in this area and wrestling fans in general should know, Sir Mo was a fixture in the WWE for over 2 years debuting July 19, 1993 on RAW with “Men On A Mission” (Mable & Mo w/Oscar) defeating Rich Myers & Hank Harris. “Men on The Mission held the WWE Tag Team Tiles for two days in England when they defeated “The Quebecers” [Pierre/Jacques] with JohnnyPolo [Raven] on March 29, 1994 and would lose them on March 31st back to the “Quebecers” in England. Mo participated in a some of the major PPV including Survivor Series ’93 [he wore Doink makeup], Wrestlemania 10, King of the Ring [managing Mable where he lost in ’94, but won in ’95 with Mo] and a couple of “In Your House” PPVs. Mo’s last PPV was Survivor Series ’95 where he managed King Mable as part of the “The Royals” with Jerry Lawler/Isaac Yankem/HHH. My records have this last big match in WWE being on the November 27, 1995 edition of RAW being defeated by The Undertaker.

----Mo is currently the New Blood Wrestling booker, which runs shows every Saturday night in Dyersburg, TN. He has been a fixture in the West TN area for at the last 6 years and has worked with almost every guy in this area as either a booker or wrestler.

First BT I have great respect for you and have always shown you a level of respect since meeting you. I had hoped that that same level of respect you shared for me. I was very disappointed last week when I read your website for the first time, and there were comments in regards to the Dustin Starr situation on your site that were somewhat disturbing to me. First of all, Jeff McDonald and I didn’t have a problem with coming to terms, about the money for Dustin Starr. I spoke with Jeff and he explained to me that Dustin might consider coming in for a certain amount of money. My answer to Jeff was, that I felt like Dustin would be a great acquisition to what we were trying to do in Dyersburg, but that I felt like he should be willing to come in and show his drawing potential, in order to prove he was worth the kind of money he was requesting.

Our Show is very New, and like with everything New, you have to build a following, which I believe we are doing every week, which was evident 2 days before Christmas when we had our best house ever, and last night at New Blood Eve, when we had to put out many more chairs than we normally do. Don’t get me wrong, Dustin is a great guy, and great worker, and he knows how I feel about him. We’ve done it all together, but I’m in the position of trying to help Jeff grow a business and I from past experiences I have learned that trying to shot gun a show, by spending money you don’t have, puts you out of business a lot quicker, than, just sitting back and riding the waves, and seeing how the storm is gonna turn out.

In regards to your comment that TLCW has the best talent in the area, my comment is this, and I’m sure everyone who respects the business and knows the business will agree. Not everyone is born a great worker, and not everyone becomes a great worker, but in all of us, we had to learn to crawl before we could walk. And so I say, that yes TLCW has more experienced and more developed guys working for them, but that my talent pool is no less than their talent, just less experienced. And experience comes with time, and in Time they will be as good if not better than the talent that is in TLCW.

And as we all grow older, our talent diminishes, and the younger guys, that are coming up as we grow older, will certainly out work us in the end, so no they don’t have the best talent, they simply have more experience. But I will say this, my guys though they don’t have the experience of the Posse, A Jon Michael, Chris O’Neal, Seth Knight, Derrick King, etc they still go out and give 110% of themselves, and strive to put on the best show they possibly can, and I promise you, there is no fighting and bitching in our dressing room, about who’s the better worker, or any of that crap. And this part you can quote me on if you like. I’m sure no body gives a damn about what I say or think, but no one in the TLCW locker room with the exception of Flash Flanagan and Bill Dundee even have the right to consider themselves someone in this business because they’ve never done anything that will go down in the wrestling history books, or anything that makes any significant difference to anyone outside of the West TN area. Make a phone call up north and mention some of the names of guys around this area, and see if any of those names ring a bell, I doubt it. Hell, I’ve been to the show and my name probably doesn’t ring a bell, but I’m ok with that. But are all those other so called Superstars, that ask for unheard of amounts of money for doing these local rinky dinky independent shows even worth the 5 or 10 dollars they are getting, much less 40 or 50 that they are asking for.

My final thoughts are this, if they even thought they would make it to the big time one day, and then they would realize that it’s about getting experience now, and not trying to get rich off the Independents. Guys all I ever wanted for you was to learn the business and keep your heads on tight, and not have these I’m a Superstar attitude, so you don’t make the mistake when you do make it, of fucking things up for yourselves because of your unprofessional attitude.