Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Classic Heel Turn by Gene Jackson

As I'm currently writing an article for this site on the "good ol' days" of great tag team wrestling, I was thinking of who was MY favorite tag team and while I was a big fan of the Rock & Roll Express when I was a kid, being an avid Continental fan my favorite was the Nightmares. During the time Eddie Gilbert was booking there they booked a great angle (although heartbreaking for me at the time) where the Nightmares split.

I'm posting two videos of the angle below so be sure and check it out, if it seems familiar to you it was booked almost exactly like Eddie Gilbert's turn on Tommy Rich in Memphis, but it plays out perfect here, I was around 10 years old at the time and I completely fell for the swerve and I was yelling at Ken Wayne through the tv. I don't think hardly anyone of any age feels any real emotional connection to todays stuff like you did back then. Anyways this led to a great series of matches between the two, many I got to see in person in Columbus, MS. One of the matches was great, Ken said Danny Davis couldn't out WRESTLE him so they had a match where the first person to throw a punch lost. So the whole match Wayne is insulting him and doing everything he can to try to get Danny to throw a punch at him til finally after 15 minutes or so, Davis snaps and just starts beating the shit out of him, which is a great finish cause Ken Wayne gets the win, but the crowd popped huge and went home happy seeing Wayne get his ass kicked.......and so it goes on. Anyway, check out the clips below and check back soon for my article on the glory days of tag team wrestling. ENJOY YOUR FOURTH!