Monday, October 15, 2007

"Coach's Corner" - Late Night Monday Edition!!

----Why do promotions book shows and then cancel them? I think I only canceled one show during the whole time as CCW promoter. And, it was really a joint-promotion show that never got off the ground. The Hollywood Jimmy booked promotion has now canceled their last two booked shows. What gives?? The buzz when the promoter started running shows was that he was “shooting his wad” bringing in all the bigger names and wasting tons of money. Tupelo was canceled because they thought they needed more time to promote. [they did need more time] This last weekend’s show was canceled, because..well…the money mark is running out of money. This not only looks bad for the promotion, but it also makes all guys that are booked for him to not want to work for him or trust him. This is also in no way Hollywood Jimmy’s fault and don’t read into it as if I said that – he is in the same mess as the other workers.

----Even though I consider Steve Creasy to be the “King of Canceling”, let me add Buster Johnson and the Paragould, AR promotion as a contender. The promotion, formerly known as Arkansas Championship Wrestling, had ANOTHER show scheduled this weekend and this was going to start their “comeback.” They are running under the AWE moniker now and I am assuming it is Arkansas Championship Entertainment. Their excuse this time was a broken axel on the ring trailer. I believe they have canceled their last 5 shows or maybe more. How can you make a “comeback”, when you can’t get the fans to trust you? Not only does canceling this show hurt this promotion, it hurts all promotions that want to come in and work Paragould. The casual fan sees “wrestling” and doesn’t see a promotion name. If you continue to cancel shows, then the fans think “I am not going there – they are canceling the show.”

----I have got heat doing this site from various people. It was expected. I get a lot less now than when I started. I guess you can say the wrestling community in this area has embraced me to a certain extent. I am still not told a lot of storylines ahead of time and if you know me, I would rather not be told. The ironic thing is that I do have a promotion or two that feel that their promotions should not be covered on this site. I am not comparing myself to ESPN, but what if they were called by say…Chicago Bulls and the Bulls said, “We don’t want you cover our promotion anymore!!”; what would ESPN do? Laugh their asses off!! I have tried to follow all the rules and make people happy without screwing with what little bit of integrity a dirt sheet editor can have. But, if you run a promotion in this area, then expect some coverage on this site if you have anything newsworthy to report. Hell, even TIWF has news. LOL For those wondering what prompted this, well, ASWF results were sent this week and I plan to post them. I put over the promotion, when I think they deserve it. So, for those that think I might put over other promotions because one of the guys is my best friend or something, then judge me for the ASWF news that I beg & plead for and the promoter would rather not be seen on the site.

----Since this looks like I am going to spend this “Coach’s Corner” talking about promoters and such, here is a story that I borrowed from www.wrestlingobserver.com that happened in early September.

--A disaster of a debut show in Fresno for Pro Wrestling Live. About 60 fans showed up. A few matches into the show, the wrestlers huddled up, grabbed a mic and told the fans the show was over. They said the promoter, Bryan White, had disappeared and they knew they weren't getting paid. Rob Conway left right after his match. Frankie Kazarian said six guys were flown in, had no idea where they were going to stay, but all knew they weren't getting paid. White said he was in the hospital and needed foot surgery the week before the show, leading to a big hospital bill. He said he couldn't promote the way he'd have liked to, and that maxed out his credit card. He tried to take out a loan and hoped ticket sales would cover his costs. He said he was told that if you can't pay everyone, don't pay anyone, and told Frankie Kazarian and Aaron Aguilera. He claimed he would eventually take care of the wrestlers and take care of refunding the ticket money since the show abruptly ended. His October show in New Jersey has been canceled.

----Is that worse than canceling?? Maybe? When I first read this piece I was pissed that the wrestlers did not continue on the show. I still believe in “the show must go on” and working in front of the fans that came out to see you. I have heard many times – “we didn’t do much, because there wasn’t anyone there.” Guess what?? Wonder why there is no one there next time and next time and next time you come – because you didn’t make the ones that were there care the first time you were there.

----Have I ever performed less because the crowd was low?? I don’t believe I ever did, even though I have rode for almost 3 hours and got paid $3. I was working for Killer [who hasn’t?] and Mike Anthony was booking. He never promised us any money. I was riding with Christian Jacobs, Paul Justice and Kade at the time. Citizen Cane, Psycho and Kilo were also on that show. We all had a rule that we usually did not do any trips longer than our Dresden, TN trip, which was right at 1 ½ hours. We all had shoot jobs, but if the payoff was equal to the distance, then we would travel. I remember having to talk these three guys into driving almost 3 hours to Waverly, TN and when Anthony told us there were 200 advance tickets sold, then we were all for it. After the show, and there were only about 25 people in the crowd, I was paid an awesome $3. I was kicking my bags and anything close to me and cussing like a sailor when I noticed that the dressing room had got real quite. This was before the CCW days and I was just along for the ride most of the time and having a good time, so I guess everyone was shocked that I was so pissed. Well, I then said, so everyone could hear me..”I could make more money sucking dick than this..” and then turned around to the dressing room and said, “Did I say that out loud?” and I got a laugh from everyone. Did we do less that night because of the crowd being low?? Nah.

----Thanks for joining me for this late night Monday edition of “Coach’s Corner.” Please join me again on Thursday when I have some interesting thoughts on Robert Gibson and Giant Gonzalas.