Saturday, October 13, 2007

"Coach's Corner" - Late Saturday Night Edition!!

----Discussion on the message board brought forth the idea for this edition of Coach’s Corner. The TV ratings I always given was being called into question and said that they were bullshit. I had a visitor [I have no idea who it was] who backed up my ratings that works in media in the Jackson area. My ratings that I have done almost the whole time this site has been existence is solely based on the Memphis airing of the show. I am sure that everyone knew that, but for someone reason because I have not included the Jackson ratings, then they are considered bogus. I do not get Jackson ratings and if I did, then I could add them. My ratings are given to me in Excel format from a friend who is sent them by Nielsen TV Ratings system. They are as legit as they get.

----The Memphis market is #47 in the DMA ranking. DMA = US TV Household Estimates Designated Market Area. What does this number mean?? It is what advertisers will see when picking what markets to air commercials for their product. It will also depend on your rating on the cost you might charge for a commercial, if you are a TV station. If I have a #1 DMA ranking – that is New York, NY – then a commercial airing on a TV show in that market could probably charge more than a TV show airing in the Memphis market. Your DMA ranking is also determine by how many households that you may reach with your programs. Here are the three markets that Memphis Wrestling is seen on a weekly basis.

-#47 – Memphis, TN – 667,980 households
-#133 – Columbus-Tupelo-West Point, MS – 186,100 households
-#174 – Jackson, TN – 96,350 households

----As you can see by the number differences, the Memphis market is a much more important market than the two other ones. I have been told that the other two markets do not provide overnight ratings and if I wanted to get them from Nielsen TV group, then they would cost me $100,000 a year. So, that is the main reason I never included the Jackson viewing area and because they did not provide the number to me. Here are a few other numbers to digest.

-Last week’s Memphis show had a HUT [households using television] of 64.5, a 4 share and a 2.7 rating. Here is what that means – there are 430,789 potential households with 16,789 viewers per 1.0 coming in at 45,330 viewers.

----I took the above info and adjusted it to the other two markets.

-Columbus-Tupelo-West Point, MS
-If it scored a 64.5 HUT, a 4 share and 2.7 rating, then you would have 120,034 potential households with 4801 viewers per 1.0 coming in at 13,060.

-Jackson, TN
--If it scored a 64.5 HUT, a 4 share and 2.7 rating, then you would have 62,146 potential households with 2,486 viewers per 1.0 coming in at 6712 viewers.

----As you can see, the two markets, if they are scoring the same as the Memphis show they would be adding some to the 3.0 average 50,000 viewers. This is all guessing on the two numbers from the other markets, because I do not have actual numbers. If it does score as good as it does in the Memphis market, then you are looking at 36% more viewers each week – over 19,000 new viewers. Is that feasible?? Maybe. You can also see why the promotion just relies on the Memphis market rating to promote to draw the people in the other markets to come see wrestling live closer to Memphis. The Jackson number would have been a total of 6,712 this week if it scored the same, which is just a half a point in the Memphis market.

----Clear as mud?? I hope I did a good job explaining the rating process in this late Saturday night/Sunday morning edition of “Coach’s Corner.” My final note in all of this is the actual system of ratings has always been in question from me and others. How can Neilson give that info when they are only getting a sample of the people?? The answer is simple – they just do and EVERYONE goes by these numbers. TV shows are canceled and brought back at times when they find out that more people were watching them than they knew. And, with the age of TIVO, it really does make it harder to take these numbers as the gospel.

Want To Discuss Ratings?? Visit the RRO Message Board and VOICE YOUR OPINION!! CLICK HERE