Friday, October 12, 2007

A Piece of my Mind-Oct 12,2007- by "The Big Cheese" Sal Corrente


How many of us can be given lemons and make lemonade. It takes a skilled chef to make something plain seem palatable. I am grateful for the return of HBK. It will make a painfully obvious catastrophe easier to watch as we all hope that the McMahons will stop blowing kisses at themselves in the mirror and start listening to others. I don’t want them to get creative I don’t believe they are creators. It’s true some of them are performers and by marriage others are performers. There may be one who can be labeled a true impediment. Then there is poor Linda like the old woman in the shoe who had so many idiots she didn’t know what to do.

In a previous article I mentioned Krissy Vaine and her rise to Smackdown. This week the news broke that Krissy and her boyfriend both asked for and received their release from WWE. I am not sure if we have gotten the real story but let’s assume that we have. I can not for the life of me how you give up on something you’ve been fighting for, for so long over a relationship. It’s not like they were countries a part but they were going to have very little time together. Couldn’t they give it some time and earn some real money for awhile instead of this five hundred dollar a week that is the standard developmental deal? Now with that being said if your WWE why couldn’t you put these two kids on the same brand? Why waste all the time and money that you put into them over the years? Is it always about being right? If these two believe that they belong together and can’t live without each other why was that such a big problem? This isn’t the first time WWE has pulled this. It really makes you wonder what motivates some of these decisions. It appears to me that the McMahons get more pleasure out of pulling strings than they do from high ratings.

What is there to say about TNA that everyone else isn’t saying or writing? At this point I really believe nothing is left. The answers are simple even though the questions appear difficult. If you really want to shake the foundation of WWE its simple make a bid to hire Kevin Dunn. He is a twenty year employee and a man’s whose exit would hurt the company more so than if any superstar left the company. If you are not aware who Kevin Dunn is you can look him up on the WWE website. I wonder if Dixie Carter got word about this article would this be old news to her or something she has never thought of. I can tell you this if you want to see Vince sweat open up that check book and make an offer to Kevin Dunn. He is the best kept secret that the WWE has and if he joined TNA he would do something no other acquisition has done, make an IMPACT.

You know Roddy Piper was a great arrogant heel who pissed off people and got a lot of heat. If you knew Roddy off camera he was a guy who knew how to laugh and have a great time. He was a lot of fun to be around. I wonder if twenty years from now someone will be telling this same story about Randy Orton. It’s only my opinion but I think when Randy’s name comes up many years from now it won’t be with an explanation of what a great guy he was off camera. It will be of a talented guy third generation superstar and first generation jackass.

Flashback: When I was working the Indy shows in North Carolina I was approached by two guys who wanted me to manage them. I had all the heat and these guys were trying to make it. At the time I was very happy managing David Isley and Colt Steele. On top of that from time to time we brought in some other guys. I had the wrong outlook in those days I should have been more open minded but truth is I didn’t see the vision of the team at the time. I do regret the decision that day if I had a second chance I would say yes to them. I have never been wrong about someone who could be a star. I have sometimes missed someone who could be a star. In this case I missed out on Men on a Mission Mabel and Mo. I wish Big Daddy V all the luck in the world with his push and I wanted to say publicly. I should have said yes, you were two good guys looking for a break and I am glad you got one.

I have previously written about Teddy Hart and The New Hart Foundation. I have recently heard that the very talented Teddy Hart has been let go. I understand this is one talented guy. I also realize that he is UNHIREABLE. At this point if he hasn’t figured out that this business works one way politically he never will. I only wish that his leaving the company would have quietly made this reincarnation of The Hart Foundation go away. If the remaining members are good talented people find them something else to do. Please do not throw them into the water with an anchor around their leg,

This picture was taken in my hometown of Yonkers, NY at the Yonkers Raceway. Afa “The Wild Samoan” was running a show and I was goofing off with friends. Its Cowboy Bobby Duncum and Sherri Martel long before she was Sensational Sherri she was my buddy. We had a good time that night I was still just a referee in those days.

This has been a piece of my mind
If you want to provide any feedback to this column you can email me at salcorrente929@hotmail.com