Friday, October 19, 2007

A Piece of my Mind-Oct 19th 2007 by "The Big Cheese" Sal Corrente


It appears, as of late, several people have left the WWE. Many of them have left by at their own request. This is not what we are used to seeing. If a talent made it to the big time you would normally need a crowbar to get them out of there. It appears that Shangri La (WWE) may not be everything that you thought it should be. In recent months we have heard many people say the traveling schedule for the talent isn’t as bad as what it’s been made out to be. I would agree with that. But how much better is it really? I am going to tell you its not that much better. In all walks of life a percentage of people are choosing quality of life over financial rewards or status. Is it so hard to believe that with all the tragedy in wrestling that some folks are choosing to get out of the most high pressured and nerve racking company in the industry? The light schedule of TNA becomes more attractive and the lure of Indy shows, conventions and personal appearances now becomes an option. In recent weeks Krissy Vaine, a girl with ALOT of potential, and her boyfriend Ryan O’Reilly walked away from the WWE. These two were just about to get the break they had been fighting for yet they walked. Its one thing to have been on top for awhile and then decided the lifestyle isn’t for you. I am sure we all remember Trish Stratus? She walked away at the top of her game. In the old days even that would have been unheard of. It’s quite another to walk out while on the verge of becoming a TV star to go back to the Indy’s where you started. Is this the start of something big? Does Vince McMahon need to stop feeding his own massive ego? It’s like a form of cancer it just keeps growing and growing until it encompasses who you are. How hard would it be to cycle talent in and out? To give them some time off that wasn’t forced by an injury? They could still make TV if necessary. It’s the little things in life that matter to people Vince. With that being said most of them aren’t going to be concerned with your ego.

The angle that is being run with The Miz and Extreme Expose is a good angle. I am told that it was Dusty’s idea. I like what they are doing and how they are doing it. I don’t know most of the players. I did meet Layla one time. She was as pleasant and beautiful as you would hope she would be. What I don’t like is The Miz I don’t see him as anyone the fans are going to take enough interest for the angle to matter. It does appear that he is trying but some people just have charisma and others don’t. I think that he is the latter

It is constantly being reported that fans are having their signs confiscated in the buildings because they don’t support the flavor of the day. Vince I have news for you the flavor of the day is green and so is the fans money. Please listen to what they want and stop shoving what you want to happen down peoples throats. If you have a chance Vince watch some of those old AWA tapes you bought and watch Verne Gagne shoving The Road Warriors as heel’s down the fans throats. He was going to show the people that those guys were heels no matter what. Didn’t quite work out for him did it?


I had the pleasure of working many time with Charles "Charlie" J. Kalani, Jr better know to most of you as Prof. Toru Tanaka. You couldn’t ask for an easier guy to work with. It was my first tour overseas and guys like him made it easy. I was nervous being in a foreign country for the first time. He was a big man but a ring general. One time I almost screwed up and didn’t block his arm when I was supposed to when he went to throw the salt. It all worked out as the people didn’t even realize what had gone wrong but I knew. I am sure Tanaka probably knew but he said nothing. I always had heard he was a nice guy. I remember hearing about his passing and all I could think about was his arm seeming to wait for my arm to block it for what seemed to be minutes. I realize it was only seconds but it sure didn’t seem like it at the time.

This picture is of me holding Afa Jr about twenty years ago. He was crowned FCW Champion this week. It is only a matter of time before he is called up to the main roster. I want to wish the young man all the best of luck. He seems to be doing a good job preparing for his shot. He wrestled Billy Kidman in the match where he won the belt. I have something in common with both of the men in that match. We were all trained for this business by Afa Anoai Sr “The Wild Samoan #1”. I hope this is just a starting road to a long and glorious career and a continuation of the Samoan Dynasty.


This has been a piece of my mind

If you want to give any feedback to this column you can email me at salcorrente929@hotmail.com