Tuesday, November 20, 2007

A Piece of my Mind-Nov 20th, 2007 by "The Big Cheese" Sal Corrente


When I was a wrestling fan growing up I can remember the biggest concerns that I had were that the Mets and the Braves wouldn’t go into extra innings. If one or both of those things happened it could cause wrestling to be delayed or heaven forbid pre empted. I ached to find out the results from MSG and The Omni in Atlanta. It was so hard to get results in those days thank goodness in NY we had Warner Wolf the sportscaster on WCBS who would show clips of a few matches and a few results. If you were lucky you got some results from Georgia Championship Wrestling on TBS from the Omni. It was a much better time; Wrestling was a close knit fraternity. The business still had bad apples in it and people that were considered headaches but they were dealt with internally. It was a time when all promoters wanted other promoters to be successful. It is good for everyone when the wrestling business is successful everywhere.


Today things are much different. I really believe Vince would feel good if TNA went under. In reality, I think that Vince is the kind of guy that is only happy if he is the sole survivor. The world can support more than one good wrestling company. It is currently supporting two bad ones. I am sure it could support two good ones.

It was good to see Jericho back on TV. He seemed alive and full of energy. I don’t know how much he can help the company. I do know he is a fresh face that the people believe in. I do know that I will enjoy his time on TV more than a lot of the other talent. Is he the savior of the company? I don’t believe that he is. Is he a welcome relief to those of us that have found the WWE to be the world’s best sleeping pill? He most certainly is. Did you notice the intent look on Randy Orton’s face? The arrogance that he displays, what a great actor he has become. Wait a minute is he acting? Some people do much better playing themselves


I have always been a friend and supporter of women’s wrestling. I have always booked women on my shows. I have been close friends with many of the women wrestlers for over twenty five years. I have to say that what WWE is presenting is HORRIBLE. The girl’s matches that they put together are an insult to wrestling fans. There are girls in the WWE that can work. In my opinion they are Victoria and Mickie James. After that you have Melina (at times) and Beth Phoenix. I believe that Candice Michelle was making great improvement’s before she got hurt and Michelle McCool can do a few things. The rest of these girls are either going to hurt themselves or someone else. They are awful. These girls are not athletes. I am sure they are all trying their best. I have met several of them and they are wonderful girls with great personalities. They can be a part of the company without being in an in ring role. If the truth be told, I am a huge Michelle McCool mark. But she isn’t ready for an in ring role. These girls should not be taking up valuable TV time with these horrible matches. If you want a woman’s division of some kind, there are girls on the Independent scene that can actually work. I know there are several out there and start with Christie Ricci. It is an insult to wrestling fans everywhere that she isn’t on RAW working with Victoria, Instead we are treated to botched spots and inadequate talent.

I hate what tag team wrestling has become. When I started watching wrestling the WWF Tag Team Champions were The Valiant Bros. (Johnny and Jerry) Jimmy was always on the outside and was there for six man tags. These guys were lead by Capt. Lou Albano and together the four of them could piss you off. One thing that was great about it for me was that it was clear that these guys could be beat. It was the wit and cunning many times of the Capt. that pulled the match out. If it wasn’t that it was double teaming behind the referee’s back that pulled out the victory. There have been so many great teams that can stand on their own great careers: The Andersons, The Freebird’s, The Wild Samoans, Patterson and Stevens, Stevens and Bockwinkel, The Hart Foundation, The British Bulldogs and recent teams of the Edge and Christian, and The New Age Outlaws. It is a crying shame that right now we have nothing but a hodgepodge of thrown together guys that comprise some makeshift team that the people have no emotional tie in to. I could rebuild the tag team division very quickly if I had the chance in WWE. I can tell you that the way to start is to stop all this back and forth nonsense with Matt and Jeff Hardy. I can tell you that neither one of these guys individually mean half as much as The Hardy Boys do together. How hard is that for WWE creative to see? Or are they having trouble feeding it to Vince and Stephanie? Sometimes I wonder what would happen if the WWE upper management went on Are You Smarter than a Fifth Grader?

This week’s picture might be of some interest to some wrestling fans. In 1997 I promoted a major reunion of many of the secondary characters from The Andy Griffith Show. I am still friends with many of them today. Some of the folks in this picture have passed on since. In the back row is David Browning “The Mayberry Deputy”, the Darling Family (The Dillard’s) with Charlene (Maggie Peterson one of the nicest people alive). In the center row is Alan Newsome (Floyd the Barber look a like) Clint Howard (Ron’s brother and Leon on The Andy Griffith Show) Keith Thibodaux (Johnny Paul Jason and Little Ricky on Andy Griffith) next to him was my good friend Jean Carson (Fun Girl Daphne the famous Hello Doll lady) Sue Ane Langdon (Nurse Mary) and Arlene Golonka (Millie) and Myself Front Row: Phyllis, Maggie Peterson’s sister who was one of the musicians that we used, Ronnie Schell (Duke Slater on Gomer Pyle) Jackie Joseph and Howard Morris (Ramona Wiley and Ernest T.Bass) and finally my friend Betty Lynn (Thelma Lou).

This has been a piece of my mind

“The Big Cheese” Sal Corrente