Friday, December 21, 2007

A Piece of my Mind-Dec 21st 2007 by "The Big Cheese" Sal Corrente


This is my last article before Christmas and in keeping with the holiday season I will one more time this year refrain from being negative. I know some people like the no holds barred Sal Corrente. If that is your pleasure you should stop reading now and come back next Tuesday when things could get back to normal. I do try most times if there is something I feel is good happening to also recognize that.

On Monday night, RAW will basically be the Tribute to the Troops that WWE filmed while over visiting with our troops. I have to say that it is a great thing that they do. I do not care what the financial situation is regarding the trip over there. I am not interested in your opinion on whether or not the war should be happening or not. The war is a reality that we all have to live with. The troops are there and they have no choice but to do the best they can to defend our nation. It is a tremendous thing that WWE does bringing the wrestlers over there. It is probably the time when the divas mean the most on any one individual event that they participate in. It was years ago that Bob Hope had his USO tours bringing over so many talented people to perform for the troops. If there is no other time through out the year when I applaud Vince McMahon and the WWE family it is now. In all honesty I do not know that I would have the guts to go over there even if I had the opportunity. I believe that we should all support RAW this Monday night. It should bring to our minds what’s really important in the world.

On another WWE note the product the last few weeks has been better let’s hope that this is the start of something big.

I can still remember the good old days when on Christmas Day night there were big shows being held. It was normally something to look forward to it’s never a bad thing to reflect on the past to be more aware of where we are today.

In regards to ROH and TNA congratulations on another year in business. It’s always great to give the talent a place to work. It also gives the talent some leverage in negotiating. I may not agree with everything either company does but I certainly support their existence.

I do have to say that TNA has turned out one hell of a woman’s division this year. I hope that it continues to evolve.

In one final note the wrestling business between the ropes is a tough enough thing and leaves all of us open to injuries. The recent close call that WWE had on their overseas tour is a whole other aspect to the risks involved in our business. I am thankful that all the talent landed safely. Personally when I hear of these types of things it does bring life in to perspective for me. How does it affect you?

The picture this time is of the Tonga Kid who many remember as Jimmy Snuka’s tag team partner in his was against Roddy Piper. The other guy is of course George “The Animal” Steele this photo was taken at the George Washington Lodge in Allentown, PA. There were many great nights at that hotel which no longer stands. It is quite a shame that hotel housed so many of the great wrestlers over the years. It has since been torn down and there is a Home Depot there now.

This has been a piece of my mind

“The Big Cheese” Sal Corrente