Friday, December 28, 2007

A Piece of my Mind Dec 28th, 2007-by "The Big Cheese" Sal Corrente


There has been a lot of talk about Memphis Wrestling not being filmed live for awhile. It has been suggested that, perhaps, the company will be shutting down. I don’t know if it will or it won’t. What I do know is that currently the indication is that it will not be shut down. I do think that what everyone needs to get comfortable with is that Memphis Wrestling is a business for TV 30.

I am not saying that there may not be some emotional connection with some of the staff and Memphis Wrestling because I’m sure there is. What I do know is that business is made up of red and black ink and, especially in these tougher economic times, that will be the deciding factor. If there is no contract that says that new programming will be produced for a certain number of weeks than the company is basically on a week to week deal. If there is no contract than there is no legal obligation to inform Corey Maclin of what the real intentions for the long term are. Of course someone may argue that there is a moral obligation on the part of the station to Corey and the people of Memphis to tell it to them straight. I would say that I agree that there is a moral obligation. However, I am not sure that morality flows through TV30 or Memphis Wrestling. I am not even sure if anyone knew that the programming was going to be canceled in say four weeks that anyone would do anything impactful with that information. The only people this would really affect other than the workers, who like being on TV, is Corey and Jerry Lawler. There is no one else making any money off of these TV’s. For the most part, Corey doesn’t run house shows. When he does the payoff’s aren’t enough to make it worth the trip for most of the talent.

I am sure, as the weeks go by and things are evaluated, the story will start to unfold. Until then, if you are interested in keeping Memphis Wrestling on the air, do the things that fans do. Let the station know that you care about the product. If you don’t give your input or feedback then you should be satisfied with the decisions that are made. Either way the product is not very good under the current structure. I don’t think that the product, per say, is the answer. Wrestling fans watch Wrestling good or bad. I think times are just changing and decisions are being made if you want a voice use your voice. This may not affect many people financially. But emotionally, if Memphis Wrestling does go away I am sure many workers and fans will suffer.


I am glad to see that Dlo Brown got a job with TNA. I had Dlo on a WrestleReunion event. I found him to be a total class act and I like the choice of him working behind the scenes at TNA. I don’t know what his intentions are towards being in the ring but if he was properly and not OVER USED I believe that he can be some help in front of the cameras as well.



FLASHBACK: I had finally convinced Stan Lane to come out of retirement for the first WrestleReunion event in Tampa. It took a lot of talking friends or no friends Stan really didn’t want to do too much anymore. I finally got him to agree to team up with Bobby Eaton, Dennis Condrey and Jim Cornette. This would be the first time that the four of them had teamed up like that.


It wasn’t long after that we got in conversation with Corey Maclin, I didn’t know Corey at the time or Jimmy Hart, but I had worked with him on a few occasions. I did feel I had some sort of acquataince with Jerry Lawler. But as I found out in a Tunica, Ms court room, he had no recollection of our working together numerous times in the past. The idea was to have The Fabulous Ones team up with Corey against Jerry “The King” Lawler and The Rock and Roll Express. I really wanted a chance to work in the Mid-South Coliseum and, if Stan was going to come back anyway, why not have this match which looked great on paper?. The territory was doing real well with these legend shows at the time as well.


We eventually came to a conclusion that Stan would do it. Corey was going to let me referee and I booked Krissy Vaine and Amber O’Neal Team Blondage on the show as well. Well as it got closer it to the date it was become clear that Steve Keirn wasn’t going to make it to the show. They asked The Fabulous Jackie Fargo to take Keirn’s place. I was excited because I had never seen Jackie work before. I have to say it was a really good six man tag. The Rock and Roll and Lawler worked real hard. I will say that Jackie gave it his all and the people were behind him. He could have gone out there and done nothing but he really reached down and did all that he could.


The next day Jackie and I were both flying back to Charlotte so I got to chat with him for a while. We had met on a few occasions before but I had a whole new respect for him. This was also the night that I got Jimmy Hart to agree to appear at WrestleReunion and be the play by play guy for our matches. I wanted Lance Russell to do color and Lance had already told me if Jimmy didn’t do it he wouldn’t be very inclined to do it either. I took that as no Jimmy than I would have no Lance and I’m sure that’s what it meant. It all worked out and I got a chance to referee a few matches in the Mid –South Coliseum. I had the girls tag match of course and a match that had a baby face Kevin White taking on Too Cool 2. I don’t remember the story line but Dundee came down to help him during the match since he was out there alone. I can remember being impressed by Kevin he was a good babyface it was a good match. I recall Dundee just having fun like most veterans do in those kinds of matches. I had been in those situations for years. The other match I was involved in was a Battle Royal it was won by a midget in a Chucky match. Oh the memories that this business gives us.

The picture with this article of Stan Hansen and Hulk Hogan has probably never been seen this was taken in the late 70's in Hamburg PA where the then WWF used to do its Wednesday night TV Tapings. The fans would normally be within ten feet of where Hulk and Stan Hansen were sitting.

This has been a piece of my mind

by "The Big Cheese" Sal Corrente