Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Arena Report: Graduation Match - Ken Wayne School of Wrestling West Memphis, AR 2.10.08

“…there is still pro wrestling out there somewhere – you just have to look for it..”
Coach’s Corner 2.06.08

----During my drive Sunday afternoon, I really did not know what to expect. I was wanting to witness something really good. I did not want to write bad things about their graduation match. Guess what?? I didn’t have to look far for pro wrestling as Kid Nikels and Eric Wayne put on a first class match along with Ken Wayne putting together a first class show. I drove home that night happy that I was part of wrestling. I was happy that I was part of this ceremony. The small crowd that witnessed this was part of something very special when it comes to this sport. True emotion and just a very appreciative crowd of what Ken Wayne has done with this school.

----The school seems to be located “too hard to find”, but I am also very horrible with directions. When I got out I was not sure I was at the right place. It looks like a large storage center from the outside. As soon as I walked in, the first person I saw was my long time friend Brian Thompson and then I knew I was in the right place. On my way to talk to Brian, I ran into Wayne [a RRO reader] and it was nice to finally meet him, even though he is a Packer fan. LOL Brian and I chatted a moment and he seem to be as excited as I was to finally be there. I finally got to shake Ken’s hand and say hi. Ken wasn’t talking much, so I knew he was a bit nervous. Believe me I first met Ken over 20 years ago and I have never known him to not want to talk. LOL

----As the time got closer to 6:00 PM more wrestlers and family came in. I got the opportunity to meet Matt Rivieria and Bill Ash for the first time. I also said hello to John Steele and later was introduced to Richard Bressler. Derrick King, Dell Tucker, “The Baron” Malkavain, TLCW ref Kaleb, Dell Tucker and Mark Tipton all came in. “Crazy” Luke Graham JR came up to me and shook my hand. I had no idea who the hell he was. LOL All the photos of Luke I have seen, he is like 50 lbs bigger. Jim Casey showed up dressed like he was at the matches in the 90s.

----At 6:00 PM on the dot, the lights went down and we were treated to 20 minute video about Eric Wayne and Kid Nikels on a big screen. This was a first class video put together by Ken. It went over the hard time it was to get through the wrestling school. They talked about most people did not that Nikels had it in him to become a wrestler and Wayne said that he quit a few times. This kind of video package could be used to get people over on Memphis TV. After the video, these two kids were OVER and you knew everything you needed to know going into that bout.

----The anticipation for the match was up in the whole crowd. You could just feel it. Brian Thompson got in the ring and introduced both guys. They came out to their music and both were greeted with applauds. As explained in the press release, to graduate from the school, each wrestler had to avoid being pinned or forced to submit by the opponent during a time frame of 60 minutes. Each wrestler was also allowed just two rope breaks during the contest. It came off as a legit contest and felt that way many times in the match.

----The match itself was a nice mix of everything. At the start, Eric Wayne’s mom was yelling so much that I thought it was going to be a distraction, but it seem to let everyone else know it “ok” to cheer or boo and the crowd got into it. One of the first big pops of the night was when Wayne slapped Nikels and then Nikels hit Wayne hard in the ear with a forearm. Unknown to me at the time, but Wayne was working with a busted eardrum he suffered in a match with Cassidy O’Reilly. The first 15 minutes was back and forth with them just seeming to feel each other out. They also never hit the ropes during this portion of the bout. Their hold for hold matwork was to par with anyone in this area. There are very few guys in this area that could have kept up with that pace. Rope breaks were used in places that made the feel that the holds were real. The scary thing was that some of the holds were so tight that I know those guys were in some pain. Wayne had Nikels arms behind his back with his shoulders almost touching each other. You could see the skin turn different colors and I just knew one of his arms was going to pop out of socket. A couple of times it looked as if Wayne pissed off Nikels for shoot as Nikels would just got haywire trying to get hold of him.

----The next 15 minutes, the pace of the match actually seem to pick up. They did a lot off the ropes and into the turnbuckles. At the 30 minutes mark, I told Derrick King that the next 30 minutes would be the test, because at that point the match was almost flawless. Well, they continue to have a good match with various things thrown in which each guy getting heat and trading off. The pace was steady and at no time did you think – “Damn, this is boring..” Pin attempts were traded and I really thought at a few times that Nikels was pinned. They did a few real creative spots out of the turnbuckle leap frog spot with Nikels cutting off Wayne a couple of times. At the 55 minute mark, you could tell the guys were so tired and they were supposed to be. No pins were made and the match was considered a draw. The medic came out to give oxygen to Wayne after the bout and they gave both guys water. It came off so legit.

----I have little criticism of the match. There are just a few guys in this area that actually could keep up this kind of pace for a bout for 60 minutes. At times the arm to arm exchanges in irish whips were..well…they looked like rookies. The build of knowing that it was going to a draw kept you from actually cheering for the finish. That was part of the drama taken away, even though at times I thought Nikels might have screwed up and got pinned. Believe me – saying this and doing it is two different things – the last 5 minutes should have been just a bit faster paced – trying for pin after pin after pin. But, with that all said and done, RRO has its first bout of 2008 to go over four stars this year - [****1/4]. All I can say to the guys that did not see this bout – get the DVD. For those that were there – top it!!

----The show finished off with Brian Thompson introducing all the wrestling personalities in the crowd including putting over Yearbook 2007 and the site. Thank you Brian!! Ken Wayne then got in the ring and thanked everyone. Both students came out to be told that they did graduate from the school and Ken gave them plaques. This was emotional for Ken and Eric with both hugging and crying. This was legit emotions – something you don’t see enough of in this business. The whole presentation was like watching a movie with a happy ending that made you cry.

----I had the chance to bs with everyone after the show. And, yes, Ken talked then. LOL It was a special evening and I am so glad I was there. The main consensus of the wrestling people that were there was that it was a real good bout. Most of them said they didn’t think they could do an hour. One of the guys said, and I will kayfabe him here, that he might be able to do an hour bout, because he has worked a 20 minute Motley Cruz finish. LOL God, I loved that!!

“He will have to have a good steady partner in this dance and most I have talked with feel that Kid Nikels will provide that for him,”
Coach’s Corner 2.06.08

----Finally, I had to include the quote above because Kevin Nikels was an excellent dance partner for Wayne that night. A guy that most people felt would never make it in the business went out and finished a 60 minute bout. He accomplished something that most guys never do in the business. This is really nothing against RRO 2007 Rookie of the Year Ramsey Cahill, but both Nikels and Wayne were robbed when it came to that award this year. Thanks to everyone involved in this bout – fun time was had by all.