Friday, February 29, 2008

A Piece of my Mind Feb 29th 2008 by "The Big Cheese" Sal Corrente


All this week all I have heard about is Floyd Mayweather getting TWENTY MILLION DOLLARS for Wrestlemania. If that is true it is an insult to everyone who has ever put on a pair of tights and gotten in a ring including myself. I think that the SEC and all stockholders should insist upon full disclosure on this issue. In many ways as much as this company is publicly traded, it is still run like a sole proprietorship or, actually, a military dictatorship.

I was involved with inaugural Wrestlemania event as a promoter of a closed circuit location. It was an event that right out of the gate pretty much became a “brand”. I realize that Wrestlemania is a special event but if they are squandering twenty million dollars on a boxer that is one hundred and something pounds WWE has made a very poor choice.

If I was going to spend a ridiculous amount of money like that for an in ring talent I would have offered it to “The Rock”. If not “The Rock”, Stone Cold Steve Austin if he would choose to risk his body. Are those reasonable suggestions? I don’t know but at least the money would be going to someone who made the company a lot of money and, if promoted right, will increase the buy rate.


If you really look at this for what it is it is, a horrible decision that truly, if it had any chance to succeed, would have needed a different participant. The whole thing could be a publicity grabbing situation based on a disgusting dollar amount. If it is a stunt, how can a publicly traded company make false public statements?

If you are Vince McMahon what’s really left except shocking America and succeeding with wild and outlandish stunts that normal people wouldn’t even consider. If I am Floyd Mayweather and I find someone crazy enough to give me twenty million dollars I say "Yes Sir" and I take it. If I am The Undertaker, Shawn Michaels, Randy Orton, John Cena, Edge and The Big Show I make sure I know what I am going to get from this extravaganza or I don’t even show up at Wrestlemania. I understand business is business but if this story is true it’s a slap in the face to the boys and a total embarrassment.


In a few short hours my friend Dory Funk Jr will have his last match in Japan. I have been told the tour is going well. I think Dory and Marti made a great decision to have Dory’s last match in Japan. I am sure there Dory is getting the respect and recognition that he deserves in Japan. The only thing that could have been better would have been a Hall of Fame induction and a match at Wrestlemania. This could be a very pie in the sky kind of idea but wouldn’t a Dory Funk vs. Ric Flair match at Wrestlemania been a good way for Flair to go out? It could have been a great Hall of Fame thing in Florida. We could have had Terry induct his brother and let Dusty be with Flair. It would have been a great Florida theme and they could have all been celebrated where at least three of them really became legends. Then they all could have said their in ring goodbye’s. I think it would have been a classy move and I am sure that WWE would have thought of it and had been glad to implement it. It’s a shame someone spent so much on the other talent that there couldn’t have been anything left for the Funks. So with that being said Dory enjoy Japan. I sure don’t mind being known as the last guy that got the Funk’s together back in Tampa and Dusty Rhodes was on the same card. It was a fun night back in two thousand and five when WrestleReunion was born.

The picture for this article came from WrestleReunion Two in Valley Forge. It is a picture of The Evil Clown. If you look under the make up that is Maniac Matt Borne who was the Original Doink the Clown in WWE.

This has been a piece of my mine