Friday, March 28, 2008

A Piece of my Mind March 28th,2008 by "The Big Cheese" Sal Corrente


I suppose that we should talk about Wrestlemania. Is anything else really on the minds of wrestling fans? I, for one, have to say that I am looking forward to it but not like I have in previous years. If nothing else, the Ric Flair situation and how it will be handled, is on my mind. I am one who is not looking for Flair to retire. So I hope that somehow they figure a way to put him over. It wouldn’t hurt Shawn Michaels at all if they put someone like me in a match with him and I went over. So why should a guy who has achieved so much in the business be “forced” out by a “loss”?

Does it feel to anyone like Wrestlemania is the event that will set the tone for the rest of the year for the WWE? It was the event that did that for WWE for many years. I don’t feel like that will happen this year. As human beings we bore very easily and things become mundane and routine to us. I think Vince may be going through that with Wrestlemania this year. It appears that the he has lost his edge and the event is just another glorified PPV. In comparison to the Super Bowl and the World Series, Wrestlemania is in its infancy. But the difference is those events, and others like it, haven’t been guided by the same man for the life of the event. I hope that Vince realizes that this Wrestlemania on paper is coming up real short. Everyone is entitled to an off year Vince. So next year how about going for the Comeback Player of the Year award?

I wrote a few weeks ago about the pay off that was due to Floyd Mayweather. I am sure it could all be a work, but I am not sure how a publicly traded company gets away with such things. What’s even worse is no matter what the WWE say’s or does the stock continues to perform well. It must really be a safe bet and as long as Vince and family are the majority stock holders you can at least count on dividends.

I am very much looking forward to the Hall of Fame inductions. I support all the inductee’s to this year’s hall. They are all deserving of some accolades and appreciation. I don’t know if being inducted to a non-existent hall of fame that is governed by the whim of one man is what they deserve but it is something. When you think of the people not inducted, and I don’t mean people who don’t want to participate, how many former WWWF and WWF and WWE people that have held titles alone aren’t in the Hall of Fame? How about “The Russian Bear” Ivan Koloff as a classic example? How can you ignore what this man has done in the WWWF and NWA? He is a former world champion. You could give a lot more dignity to the Hall of Fame by inducting some people who have actually held the GOLD rather than some who were inducted who barely won a match.

The picture from this article is from WrestleReunion 2 in Valley Forge, PA. It was to be Domenic Denucci vs. Ivan Koloff in a Russian Chain Match. It was great having my long time friend on the show with us. I had known Ivan since I had been in the business and seen many chain matches and been involved in many. The memories always stay strong.

This has been a piece of my mind