Friday, April 18, 2008

A Piece of my Mind April 18th 2008 by "The Big Cheese" Sal Corrente


I have not read Bret Hart’s book but I have heard nothing but praise for it. As most people know I am very close to Bruno Sammartino. It has been brought to my attention that Bret was critical of Bruno in a match that he saw in Puerto Rico between Bruno and Robert Morella. This match would have taken place in the late seventies or early eighties at the very latest. In the wrestling world Robert Morella was known as Gorilla Monsoon. I am not sure how old Bret was when he saw this match or what his knowledge base was at that time. I do think he was not at all prepared to make any judgment.

I can tell you this that Bruno Sammartino faced Gorilla Monsoon many times over the years but to my knowledge none of those matches took place in a steel cage while they competed for the WWWF. You might ask why that would be. If you were familiar with Gorilla you know he was well over four hundred pounds. A cage match normally was a culmination match that would be an all war that would find competitors running each other all over the ring and into the cage. You might ask why someone would book a match like that with a four hundred and fifty pound man who was not quick in it. Would the people get their money’s worth?

I personally think that if booking that match was an intelligent move Vince McMahon Sr would have done it. He would also have done it when Gorilla was younger and had a better chance of making it work. In those days Gorilla owned part of the World Wrestling Council and I am sure that Bruno’s appearance there was a favor to someone. It was the brain child of someone to book this match. Bret at this stage of his life with the knowledge and wisdom should have been able to read into the situation. The real person who Bret should have been criticizing is who ever put Gorilla in a situation that couldn’t possibly accentuate his positives.

I know Joey Styles and I respect Joey Styles. I used him at WrestleReunion and I was thrilled to do it. He is a class act and a great talent. The decision made to pull him out of the broadcast booth and send him to work on wwe.com was a good one for Joey that is. I think it’s a pathetic decision for the WWE. If you look closely the way they make Joey work at his job is like sending Babe Ruth up to bat with a toothpick. I am glad for my buddy that he is in a role that doesn’t shine a spotlight on him and than restrict his natural talent.

I grew up watching Mike Adamle play football but I don’t think I will enjoy listening to him be a WWE cheerleader. I hope it works out for him but I sure wouldn’t have given him the role that he has been given.


The picture for this article is of Ray Apollo who replaced Matt Borne as Doink the Clown for the WWE. It was taken by me at the Yokozuna Memorial Show a few years ago. It is a shame that this gimmick is basically poached by every cheap promoter out there. I have traveled with Ray quite a bit he is a very good hand that should have had a lot more success in the business.