Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Coach's Corner "Plans, Heart and There Are Good Things in Wrestling"

----I was watching TV the other night when they aired a commercial for Memphis Wrestling. Corey Maclin was his usual bumbling laughing self. Jerry Lawler and he actually said to watch the show, but they had no idea what was going to be on it. I laughed at first and then thought, they are probably telling the truth. Here before us is the creative team that might rival whoever made “Waterworld”. How can you have TV and not really have a plan?? I was talking with a current worker [former RRO award winner] who is currently working out of this area. He said that the bookers he is working for now have matches and angles planned out for the rest of the year. What?? How can you plan like that?? How many guys reading this right now went to the arena this week with no idea who you were working?? Promotions with faltering crowds need to take a long look at themselves – make plans and stick with them. That makes not only workers trust you, but the fans also.

----You have heard the saying, “If you don’t have anything good to say, then don’t say anything.” Or something like that; right?? If you were naming the four best workers in the area, would they include Psycho, Arnez, Justin Smart and “Indian” Quixote? Psycho is too fat, Arnez does not take enough heat, Justin is green and well…Quixote is the drizzlin shiznitz; right? Oh yea, Joey McNew is an idiot that has no business being a wrestling promoter and all three of his shows have been disasters. Well, all the of that may be true, but let me tell you – that one night in Kennett, MO those four guys along with booker Motley Cruz and promoter McNew put on a show that the fans enjoyed. It doesn’t matter that none of the bouts were “match of the year”. The fans went home happy and I look for a lot of them to return for the next show. All the people “hating” on this promotion and crew – all I can say is – give them a chance. Even though I personally would have probably marked out more for the four guys would have been Stan Lee, Derrick King, Flash Flanagan and Greg Anthony – I would add those four guys from Kennett that worked their asses off on my roster any day of the week. They got something some of your guys are lacking – heart.

----When I first heard that XOW was “invading” ASWF, I laughed and said, “Do those guys still run shows?” I then took a minute to think. These guys have continued to keep their names out there, even though they are not running regular shows [up until this weekend]. I think that is very smart marketing in doing a feud in NBW earlier this year and then keeping the name alive with ASWF invasion. Did I really think I still would be writing about the Tony Watts/Bill Russ promotion this late in 2008?? Nah, the promotion was formed out of more controversy than probably any group in this area. They have kept their name in the mix and more people probably know about them in this area than most promotions. And look at the talent they had on their show this past weekend!! Some of the best in the area, so how can you go wrong? Ok…so they are still using that stupid “Deadman”..but other than that you guys are over with me.

----Are there really that many good things to talk about in this area?? Another promotion that I felt would not make by this time in 2008, is RWA. They run their weekly shows in an arena that was built for Bert Prentice. So I am thinking from the start that these guys are cursed. LOL Frank Martin has jumped in and got the community working with them. There is a church group that comes to the show – what other group can say that?? I am told the payoffs are not that big right now, but that is the understanding when being hired. This is considered a “start up” company and when it does flourish, the Martin says the workers will benefit. His rosters have also changed back and forth, which keeps it fresh. He also has been able to take guys most considered “not that talented” along with guys like Ali Stevens and Rodney Mack to make the fans want to come in. The workers also talk about how it might be one of the best dressing rooms in the area – no backstabbing and no bitching. Keep up the good work guys.

----I remember a few years back when talking about RAW in the dressing room, one of the workers in the dressing rooms said, “I don’t watch that crap.” And, I really wondered how could a worker not follow the main show of the business?? Well, I have to admit that it has been a long time since I watched any of the major promotions’ shows. You got nothing on TNA – Sting is in a bad mood again?? Wow!! ECW looks so bad with a roster that has NO ONE that I get excited about watching. RAW is going to be the top show; right? Well, at least there seems to be some things I want to go out of my way to see – like Jericho/Michaels, JBL/Punk and even the Lawler/Duggan stuff with Dibiase/Runnels. I think there has to be SOMETHING right with the universe, when CM Punk is world champion. Smackdown?? Well, I am so sick of watching Eddy’s ex-wife that I want to puke. Every time I see her – I think she is just exploiting Eddy. I may be total off base on that, but it is just the way I see her. And what the hell happened with MVP?? Talk about being forgotten in the shuffle?? Here is a guy that was being pushed as being the next big thing having good matches with Chris Benoit and now he is just “lost” on Smackdown.

THOUGHTS ON COACH'S CORNER - VOICE YOUR OPINION ON KAYFABE BOARD