Saturday, December 27, 2008

A Piece of my Mind Dec 27th, 2008 by "The Big Cheese" Sal Corrente


To start this week I would like to end the old year and bring in the new by thanking anyone and everyone who has been reading my articles on a weekly basis.

I can remember being out to dinner in Washington DC with Jim Crockett Jr, Dusty Rhodes and Lex Luger after a show there. At that dinner Dusty made comments about how PPV had changed the booker job around. It was important that he knew about trends and numbers. They had determined that running a PPV the day after Christmas was important since people could buy something and not have to pay for it for about a month. It made sense to me. But I am writing this on Dec. 26th but there are no PPVs tonight. My how things have changed.
I see that the Rock and Roll Express are in New Dyersburg, TN tonight. If you are an Indy worker or a fan, you need to attend that show. If you are a worker and are asked to buy a ticket you should gladly pay for it. If you are a fan, understand that one day a year, or twenty years from now. the chance to see Ricky and Robert team up won’t be there. It’s an experience you don’t want to miss. You can’t always catch someone next time. Sometimes there is no next time.

I recall that Ricky Nelson the 50’s TV and singing star was coming to NY and I said “Ah-hh I will catch him the next time through". Well there was no next time. There was a horrible plane crash on New Year's Eve that took the life of Ricky Nelson. Many times since then I think of that when deciding whether to do something now or later. It, hopefully, will not be a tragedy like that that causes us to miss an opportunity in life. But whatever the reason, you don’t want to miss a chance presented to you.
I learned to appreciate The Rock and Roll Express in a way that I never had before on those recent shows in Charlotte. I had heard stories for years about The Rock and Roll Express. I didn’t really grasp the true meaning of those stories. I can always count on Carolina’s Own David Isley to recreate the hysteria for me but not being around or working the territory in those days it’s hard to understand. I think that now I am a little closer to it after the shows in the Charlotte area. In the days when wrestling was still wrestling and guys work like Ricky and Robert against teams like The Koloffs, The Midnight Express, The Road Warriors, Manny Fernandez and Rick Rude no wonder hysteria was created.

The picture for this article was taken in Greensboro, NC. It was taken by Maria Lane. It is of Ricky Steamboat Jr who I hadnt seen in about ten years and of course myself and Sweet Stan Lane. I want to wish Ricky Jr luck he leaves for Japan soon for atleast three months. He is dedicated to learning his craft. If what I have seen so far is any indication the young Steamboat could have a very long and prosperous career in front of him.


Well that’s it for me. I am out. I will be back on January 4th . Happy Holidays to all of you and best wishes for a prosperous new year.