Thursday, December 11, 2008

The Thompson Perspective 12.11.08 By Brian Thompson

If you grew up watching professional wrestling in the 1980’s, you were a part of a unique experience.

The business was on fire. Vince McMahon took the World Wrestling Federation to a national stage and Jim Crockett Promotions became the leader of the National Wrestling Alliance.

The early part of the decade featured the old territorial structure that dominated the business for much of the century. However, as the 1980’s came to a close McMahon was on the top of the mountain with Ted Turner now in the game, having bought Crockett’s wrestling operations. Verne Gagne’s American Wrestling Association existed, but barely.

Much of McMahon’s success was due to the superstar status of Hulk Hogan, who took the then-WWF by storm in 1984. While Hogan took the WWF to heights never before seen, it was “Nature Boy” Ric Flair who was the flagship of Crockett, later Turner and the NWA.

I was a full fledged Hulk-A-Maniac as a child. I am not ashamed to admit it. However, at the same time I admired Flair and his cohorts the Four Horsemen. Maybe I had a split personality complex. I would love to be the superhero with big muscles (Hogan) or the high class big shot (Flair).

When the opportunity arose to attend last Saturday’s HighSpots.com show in Charlotte, NC, came along, I jumped at the chance. Originally only Flair was going to be on the show. That alone was enough for me. I’ve waited nearly 28 years to meet “The Man.” When it was announced that Hogan would also be in attendance, I began to wonder if my eyes were deceiving. Could I really be going to an event where both of my childhood idols will be in attendance?

Brian Tramel was supposed to come along, but he was unable to and I know that bummed him out.

I left for the show immediately following the New Experience Wrestling (N.E.W.) taping in West Memphis Friday night. Of course, and call me name dropper if you must, I planned to arrive at the Eatons’ home in Charlotte before the show, hang out with them and then head to the event. From my house in rural Cross County, AR to Charlotte is a 700 mile drive – one way!

I left West Memphis and planned to stop in Lebanon, TN or Cookeville, TN. Well, I just made it to Jackson. This was for two reasons. First, I was exhausted. It was a long week at my regular job. Second, for some reason Interstate 40 was closed at mile marker 83. Jackson is located just a few miles from that location. I decided it would be best to stay there and get up a little sooner.

Of course, I have the world’s worst luck at times and naturally this would be no different. My hotel room key would not work. I came down and got a second one – same result! Now, I’m starting to get frustrated because not only do I want to get into the room to sleep, but I also need to visit the restroom. I was switched to another room and all was good.

I woke up around 6 a.m. Saturday morning and hit the road. I still had nearly 8 hours of drive-time remaining. The trip was long, but went well and I arrived at the Eatons’ house around 3:30 p.m.

I changed clothes and we headed to the arena. Of course, it took a while to find it but that’s par for the course. We arrived and went into the building for a “fan fest.”

I followed Bobby Eaton to the “fan fest” location and along the way we ran into Flair. He just carries a certain “aura” of greatness.

We headed to the “fan fest” area where I met Stan Lane for the first time, said hello to old friends Ricky Morton and Robert Gibson. Actually, let me back up and mention that before we got to the building, a car pulled up with Sal Corrente, David Isley and Jimmy Hart. We greeted them before actually getting inside.

Let’s get back to the “fan fest” festivities. Hulk Hogan and the Nasty Boys arrive and then Flair makes his way to the stage. They all greeted each other and Hulk told the crowd that the boys in the locker room always knew that Flair was the “greatest of all-time.” It was a moment to behold. Yes, at that moment I no longer was a 27-year-old man. I was back to being that 7-year-old who saw Hulk in person at the Show Me Center in Cape Girardeau, MO in the spring of 1988. I was the kid who watched the “Nature Boy” take Nikita Koloff to school on the Starrcade ’86 VHS that I’ve played a million times.

I ended up helping keep fans moving as they had their photos made with the Rock N’ Roll Express, Midnight Express, Nasty Boys with Jimmy Hart and Flair.

Then, we headed to the locker room. Bobby Eaton and I talked about this all night long. The mood in that locker room was awesome. Everyone was having a good time. There weren’t any politics. You had guys who hadn’t seen each other in awhile greeting each other and swapping old stories, mixed with young guys like myself who just ate everything up.

Prior to the main event, Bobby introduced me formally to Hulk. He still is a huge guy and definitely has “24-inch” pythons. He agreed to autograph my copy of his autobiography and posed for a photo with me. After the main event, Flair returned to the stage to finish autographs that were not completed before hand. Bobby took me over to him and Ric signed my copy of his book and then stood up for a picture. Special thanks to the fan who took the picture for me – whoever you are!

I’m probably coming across as a dork with this particular column, but I really don’t care. I had such a great time in Charlotte. The card was solid, top to bottom. You’ve seen the results already and there will be a DVD available soon at www.highspots.com. A great time was had by all involved.

For me, the coolest experience was meeting Hulk and Ric not just as a fan, but as someone who is also in the wrestling business, albeit on a tiny scale compared to them. In a lot of ways if left me with a feeling of “now what?”

I spent Saturday night with the Eatons’ and then stayed with them until around 2 p.m. and headed back to the road. I stopped in Cookeville, TN, on Sunday night and then headed back home to Northeast Arkansas on Monday. A 700-mile return trip will give you a lot to think about.

This great moment for me personally was nothing I created. It involves so many people in my life who have helped me along the way to realize such a dream.
Of course, it’s not remotely possible without my parents and grandparents who have always stood behind me in whatever I have chosen to do.

In 2000, I was given a great start in wrestling by Gateway Championship Wrestling (GCW) based in St. Louis. Guys like Big Bad Ben, Sadie “Makaze” Blaze, Mike Sharona and Evil Jim opened a door for me. GCW was a good promotion that is unfortunately not around today. It was a wonderful place to start and I am forever grateful for those guys for giving me a chance. Thank you!

Nine months into my career, Kelly Warner and I met for the first time. He gave me an opportunity to meet Terry Golden, who operated Memphis Championship Wrestling. MCW was a WWE developmental territory at the time and featured a great roster, many of whom are on WWE TV today or have been in the last eight years. Thank you Kelly and Terry. That was a great experience that I will never forget and it gave me a chance to meet many of wrestling’s top stars and it was the place where I became friends with Bobby Eaton, the man who ends up making the intros to my heroes last weekend.
To all the boys - I’ve enjoyed working with all of you and you’ve all had a hand in helping me in one way or another. There are too many names to list, so I won’t do that, but you know who you are.

Derrick King and I have butted heads a lot of times. I think you could insert any name and say that person has butted heads with DK. A lot of that reason, though, is because we share a similar passion. No doubt that Derrick has been a good influence on me.

Guys like Brandon Baxter and Brian Tramel, who both may not be involved physically in wrestling anymore but are both great ambassadors to the sport. A lot of Northeast Arkansas promotions owe Brandon a debt of gratitude for the things he has done for them. Thank you Double B.

Of course, most of you know the background with BT. I’m glad to know him and call him a friend.

“Nightmare” Ken Wayne is a mentor to me. He has taken a guy (me) who has decent ideas and has been able to mold me to think outside the box and to think smart. It was an honor to see him compete in his final in-ring match and a thrill to be a part of his son’s debut two years ago.

Finally, Bobby Eaton. I consider him the blueprint of what a PROFESSIONAL wrestler should be. He’s gracious, caring and true general inside the ropes. For a man who’s had a ton of success, he is probably the most humble man alive. He’s taught me a lot.
Take care and Merry Christmas everyone!

(Brian Thompson may be reached at bptbookings@yahoo.com)