Friday, January 23, 2009

A Piece of my Mind Jan 23rd 2009 by "The Big Cheese" Sal Corrente


It’s about time for the WWE Hall of Fame indication ceremonies again. The only announced inductee so far is Stone Cold Steve Austin. It is rumored that he wants Ric Flair to induct him. I don’t understand the choice myself but if that’s what Austin wants that’s what he should get. It has nothing to do with Flair per say. He is an excellent choice and would do a fantastic job. I just don’t understand the nature of the relationship. I would think someone who had a very profound impact on the inductee’s life should be selected. In this case I certainly would have expected that Jim Ross would have been asked.
It has been suggested that WWE doesn’t want Flair to induct Austin since he isn’t with the company. If this Hall of Fame is ever going to get some credibility the WWE is going to have to start letting the inductees call their own shots. I am no fan of Jerry Lawler but when he was inducted he wanted Lance Russell to induct him. I am a huge fan of Lance Russell he did me the honor of calling our matches at WrestleReunion 1 and 2. He had been a major part of the career of Jerry “The King” Lawler and should have been allowed to induct him.
The Hall of Fame is clearly a popularity contest heaven forbid if someone speaks blasphemy against WWE they will never get in. It should be merit based but since it isn’t can’t they at least let the inductees accept the honor in their own way.

Well Vince McMahon is back on television so at the very least RAW will be more interesting. The timing is interesting with football also over on Monday nights.
I wonder what Vince McMahon’s mode of transportation is to WWE events. Is he still flying a private plane? I wonder how many positions could be paid for if that private plane wasn’t being used. Is flying first class really that bad? Hmmm maybe being out in public would get Vince back in touch with the public. I believe that could be a huge help to him right now.

The picture for this article is taken just before the start of the main event in Tampa at WrestleReunion 1. Mick Foley was the special guest referee and Abdullah was ready to spread mayhem as always.

This has been a piece of my mind