Wednesday, April 22, 2009

The Golden Circle: "Everybody Has A Wrestling Story" by Greg Anthony


As a wise man once said wrestling will always be the bastard son of both sports and entertainment. For something that in some circles that is so disgusting, so low brow, so beneath everything decent and good, there sure are a lot of people that have enjoyed this little thing known as professional wrestling. Now I haven't made a million dollars and I'm not sure on some days I've made a $1000 but I take great pride that when I was four years old I vowed to every relative that I was going to be a professional wrestler and no matter the gate or greatly exaggerated circumstances I'm living most of my dream. Now I'm an outgoing person and I've met a lot of people. Some thru day jobs, friends, family and the general public. Not all of them are wrestling fans but I can honestly say that all of them have at least one wrestling story.

Most people in this area tell stories of their parents taking them to see Tojo Yamamoto, Jackie Fargo, Jerry Lawler, Bill Dundee and the wild & crazy Moondogs to their local armory or junior high school gymnasium. Some tell stories of this guy they knew that worked at a factory with them that was a professional wrestler. They can't ever remember his wrestling names but “John from Halls” or “Steve from Union City” is an example of their best effort to jog my concussed memory. In Dyersburg, Tennessee when I talk to anyone over the age of 50 the first name they mention is the great Herb Welch. Wish I could have met him, having that much knowledge down the road from my house would be invaluable. Everyone has at least one wrestling story.

My Uncle Jeff is only 12 years older than me. We grew up almost like brothers rather than uncle and nephew. Jeff use to bounce at a bar called City Limits in Centralia, IL. Now my uncle hasn't every really been into wrestling but I was probably about ten when he told me one of his fellow bouncers was a pro wrestler! I couldn't believe it, "What is his name?!" I asked. "The Rock N Roll Kid" by uncle replied. I was awe struck, I couldn't believe it. I immediately drew The Rock N Roll Kid for my fictitious federation that I "promoted". When you're ten and you want to be a pro wrestler and your uncle is friends with one, I felt like I had an "in" to the business once I became of age. The cool thing is I actually got in touch with The Rock N Roll Kid not too long ago via myspace. Although The R-n-R Kid gimmick has since been left behind, it nice to know maybe I could have that kind of impact on someone someday.

To this day when I talk to my Mom's other brother, Bobby, about wrestling he brings up the time The Fabulous Freebirds beat up Santa Claus on World Class. My cousin, Karla waitressed in Virginia and waited on the whole NWA crew one night. Ric Flair, The Steiners, just about everybody. She wasn't a fan either so I pulled out my "The New Pictorial History of Wrestling" by George Napolitano and started pointing guys out "Was he there? What about him?" One of my best friends, she never really watched but her brother was apparently obsessed with Bam Bam Bigelow running around doing the diving headbutt. Then she dated a guy in high school that was a super fan that constantly said "OH, What A RUSH!". Then there are the countless people that were fans but aren't anymore and they spread rumors like there were two Ultimate Warriors, like the business could survive two of them.

Not everybody has to love wrestling like myself. Simply respect it, for what it is - a valid form of art and entertainment, athletics and sport and so much to so many. I promise if everyone did that and told that one story I know they have, then wrestling just might find its way into a four year olds life.

----Greg Anthony is regular on the local area circuit. He won RRO Booker of the Year 2008 and is listed in the top 4 of the RRO Top 10 2008. Greg is currently working as booker of NEW and can be seen tagging with legend Bobby Eaton and Brian Thompson as “Midnight Gold”. And yeah, btw always remember when "The Golden Boy" Greg Anthony makes a promise it’s as good as gold.