Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Mama Says It Beees That Way Sometimes "Matt Justyce - the next Buckhouse??" by “Downtown” Bruno Lauer


Hi again to the cyber world,its me,the legend(in my own mind),Downtown Bruno from Walls, Mississippi by way of Fort Duquesne boulevard. The most "over" manager of the 80s,bar none......or maybe..nah never mind....Let’s talk about New Experience Wrestling’s answer to Apollo Creed – “the main attraction” Matt Justyce!

Let me preface this by saying that I’m in the wrestling business – I work for the WWE. I have made my living in this industry since 1979 - 30 years! But, as many of you know, my main job is with the wweand I’m in a behind the scenes capacity. I’m not in the ring or at ringside at all anymore on RAW(where i won the WWE ladies title),or on Smackdown(where i lost the WWE ladies title) or on ECW (where i......well,never appeared)...but I still appear on Ken Wayne’s NEW show every Friday night as the senior official.

Anyway, my point is that after my appearance at the legends battle royal at Wrestlemania 17, I vowed to never again appear in a talent capacity in the business again. I did never want to be the washed up guy trying to hang on to or reclaim long lost past glory. However, when 2004 and 2005 came around and my dear friend Boss Winters opened Razorback All-star Wrestling(later re-named Arkansas All-star Wrestling---another story for another time). Well, like on the Godfather, I tried to get out, but they pulled me back in---first as a color commentator, then as a heel referee, then as a heel manager and I remained a "talent" up until they closed their doors. At that point, I reiterated my vow to never again appear as a talent...NEVER!!!

Then, low and behold, another dear friend, Ken Wayne opened NEW in West Memphis, Arkansas. He invited me to join the organization as the senior official. Well, here I went again like a mafia movie..back in again. Well to make a long story short, if that’s even plausible at this point the first match I was back in the ring for in approximately 3 years was Greg King vs Matt Justyce. Several things stand out in my mind about this match. First, it’s my return to the ring after a long time and lemme tell ya - at 44 years old I wasn’t up to the task! These guys went at it like a couple of guys in their 20s....oh,yeah...that’s what they are!!!! Shoot, I wasn’t ready for the action they presented. This wasn’t Reggie B Fine vs Jeff Gaylord walking and talking - this was action -as real as it gets. Matt was a flipping,flopping,high flying daredevil that bumped,worked,sold and wrestled like a veteran. it wouldn’t be fair to only compare him to another African-American wrestler because shit this is 2009! What difference does race, creed or color make right? The guy MJ reminds me of - work wise style wise and body wise of my old friend and former colleague - Jimmy Golden. And for those of you who don’t remember Jimmy Golden - look him up or you tube him. He wasn’t good - he was GREAT!! Matt Justyce, you could be the next Bunkhouse Buck - there is not a greater compliment I could deliver.

----“Downtown” Bruno Lauer is a legend in Memphis Wrestling. He surprised everyone last year winning RRO Referee of the Year 2008 from his work at NEW. He appears bi-weekly with his non controversial column. Lauer had his biography published last year “Wrestling with The Truth” and can be purchased at www.crowbarpress.com. Lauer is also currently employed by the WWE.

Photo by Donna Partee with Matt Justyce [on the left] in the ring with RRO Wrestler of the Year 2009 - Derrick King.