Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Mama Says It Beees That Way Sometimes "My Friend Allen Steele" by “Downtown” Bruno Lauer

I’d like to dedicate this week’s column to my good friend Allen Steele – who not so coincidentally is also a Desoto County [MS] resident. He being a Horn Lake-er and me being a Walls boy. Some people claim Walls stands for “We all Live Like Shit..but don’t believe it!!

Anyway, let’s talk about Mr. Steele here. I first met him when he was just starting out in the old Memphis Power Pro Wrestling days. I didn’t run across him again until Boss Winters hired me to be senior consultant and color commentator for Razorback All-Star Wrestling, which later changed to Arkansas All-Star Wrestling due to some to the point humorless legal letter from the University of Arkansas. [long story] I had not seen anybody improve as dramatically as Allen did in that relatively short period of time. I mean..by that point the kid had it all – size, strength, agility and ring presence. Actually a matche for AAW where Allen wrestled Dustin Starr we me serving as special guest referee was honestly one of the best matches I have ever been involved in personally and that covers 30 years PLUS worth of territory.

Yes, I feel Allen has everything to offer this business that is required and I hope that someday gets what he deserves. That is a break and full time living in our industry. If it was 20-25 years ago when I was manager on top in various territories such as Kansas City, Alabama, Memphis, etc – I GUARANTEE I could have and would have found a secured spot for him and now who knows what level he would be at now. Timing is everything and sometimes in an unfortunate sense.

----“Downtown” Bruno Lauer is a legend in Memphis Wrestling. He surprised everyone last year winning RRO Referee of the Year 2008 from his work at NEW. He appears bi-weekly with his non controversial column. Lauer had his biography published last year “Wrestling with The Truth” and can be purchased at www.crowbarpress.com. Lauer is also currently employed by the WWE.