Tuesday, November 17, 2009

The Golden Circle "Feel Good Moment - 2009" by Greg Anthony

Some of you may have noticed my intentional stab at having a positive article. Not the normal gripe fest or heat magnet that some people try to have. I try to be a positive influence on the business. I try to help younger guys, or those who need help. I'm always willing, especially when asked, to watch someones match and give an honest opinion. However a few weeks ago, I found a moment were I didn't have a positive influence on the business but the business had a positive influence on me.

I've known "Trendsetter" Jon Michael longer than anyone else in the business. We've known each other since elementary school. I'm a few years older than him but we were on the basketball team together in junior high and high school. We actually got in trouble during a practice one time for him jumping off the bleachers and giving me the "Macho Man" double ax handle. Try explaining that to a coach that doesn't watch nor does he like wrestling. I've always been a "Trendsetter" fan, but I think I'm a bigger fan of just Jon Michael.

A few weeks ago on a Sunday afternoon Jon Michael put together a benefit show called The St.Jude Cup. A benefit for a little girl that had died of cancer. It wasn't a sellout crowd or matches filled with heated angles but what is was, was a group of talented individuals that gave their time and effort for something greater than themselves. The show was attended by many friends and family of the little girl.

Being a father has changed my outlook on alot things. Before if I had heard about a child dying I knew that it was sad but now I feel how sad it really is. The mother of the little girl was very appreciative and seemed at peace. She had probably cried more than anyone should ever have to. No one should ever have to bury their child but unfortunately its a fact of life.

I don't have the ability to find the cure for cancer or make a family's pain go away. With a handful of guys we can help celebrate a life that ended too soon. To maybe give back a little joy to a family that lost so much. I would like to say a personal thank you to everyone who helped that day, Derrick, Stan, Cody, CJ, Brian and especially Jon Michael for making it happen. No need to ask, I'm already signing up for St Jude Cup 2010.. I wouldn't miss it for the world.

----Greg Anthony is a regular on the local area circuit. He won RRO Booker of the Year 2008 and is listed in the top 5 of the RRO Top 10 2008. Greg currently can be seen tagging with legend Bobby Eaton and Brian Thompson as “Midnight Gold”.