Monday, December 21, 2009

The Straight Flush "Wrestling Politics & Booking" by Pokerface

What does it really take to make it in wrestling? I would loved to say that it only takes talent, but if that were the case, alot more of the good wrestlers would have jobs in the big leagues. Sad to say as far as the big leagues go, it's all about who likes you and who you know. At the independent level, it also applies, but to a smaller degree. I've seen guys at the indy level try to pay politic and manipulate their way to the "top", so to speak. I've seen guys get preferential treatment or pushed because of who they drank, smoked, or hung out with. I,however, don't play those games. I admit, here and there , I've tried to politic or smooze, but it ain't my thing. At the indy level, what good would it do for you to be the top guy, be the champion, or get the best matches? Only the 100 people that pay to see it would know. It's like being student class president. It means something in high school, but outside those hallowed halls, it doesn't mean crap! I've seen guys who would quit a company or get mad because they couldn't be the champ. C'mon children! Wake up.

At this level, as Sid Vicious once told me, learn EVERYTHING that you can. It doesn't matter if you are the opening match or main event. Kissing the promoters ass, is still gonna get you the same honorable mention in your pay envelope at the end of the night. Now in the big leagues, it's different. I've heard guys complain about being overlooked our under utilized. It's a fact that for the most part you gotta play politics to get certain things done. But as in an article I read by Lance Storm, there are good politics and bad politics. Good politics is when you act as your own agent. You go to the powers that be with ideas and concepts. You "put yourself over" to the boss. You tell the company brass why you would be the best person for a certain match, angle, or title. Bad politics is almost the same, except you do a little mud slinging. You crap and downplay the next guy. Which one you play is solely up to you. You shouldn't be one of the guys who just sit back and just enjoy getting a check every week, or are just happy to have a job. Those are the guys who almost never standout and get released because creative doesn't have anything for them. The game is gonna have to be played. It's up to you how it's gonna be played. But politicking at this level, is like the hamster running on the wheel.

The second topic I wanna touch on, is booking. promoting, etc. In this area, on TV or not TV, the booking and product sucks. I've seen guys being put in positions and matches, because of, here we go again, politics. I've seen the booker put himself in every main angle and in every interview segment. I've seen where the booker is the champion, when he clearly isn't capable of being either. I've seen angles that were on RAW Monday night, wind up on an indy show a month later. Nobody is creative anymore. And week after week, it's the same guys in the main event. The bad part is that on a roster of about 20 or so, you may have 5 guys that are "over".

I recently had the opportunity, to take charge of a show, and "book" for a couple of weeks. In this particular company, I have good amount of input. booking or not. I have never abused that power. My goal was, and is, is to make EVERYBODY on the roster, if possible , a star. I book in very entertaining way. Probably not in the way that old schoolers would like. I believe in letting the people know who the characters are. I may do this in an interview or some other kind of segment. I believe in surprising the people. Giving the people something they don't expect. Making it so that the people are aware that anybody on the roster is capable of beating anybody at anytime. Curtain jerkers have beat main eent guys. Women have beaten seasoned veterans. As a booker or a member of the creative team, I'm willing to sacrifice myself for the good of the show. I'm willing to do damn near whatever to build the crowd. I show no ego. If I'm the champ, I wouldn't necessarily book myself in the main event. If I feel my match wouldn't be strong enough to close the show, I'd gladly step aside and let somebody else do the honors. I never center the show around myself or my boys. As the champ, I do however get more time for certain things than some. That's only because the championship should be the cornerstone of the company, you know, the brass ring. I don't book myself as invincible, but more as a chicken s@#$.

Anyway, I book in terms of dollars and cents. I try to get as many asses in the seats, so me and the other guys can sell more merchandise, more concessions can be sold, and hopefully a fatter pay envelope at the end of the night. Booking should be done wisely. Think outside the box. Think big, but realistically. I've been in a company that had the resources, but did nothing with them. They would book "superstars" and still draw 400 fans. If they booked the the regular talent they still drew 400 fans. Smart booking my ass!. In closing the key to booking is not rocket science, but at the same time it's not remedial math either. Give a damn! Make it a personal challenge to see if u can pack the building. See if, even with mostly sub par talent, if you can fill it up to the rafters.

Until next time, keep your pimp hand strong!