Thursday, January 28, 2010

The Golden Circle "Frankensteiner" by Greg Anthony

It was a cold October night when I saw Scott Steiner debut The Frankensteiner during Halloween Havoc. I had just witnessed the greatest move in wrestling. It was both athletic and powerful, smooth but devastating. The Steiners were very innovative and this was Scott's Sistine Chapel. Now fast forward to 2010, is there any move that could make me feel that way again?

Let me clarify, as most already know, I'm more interested in the storytelling process of a match than the moves there within. However the moves themselves are important. What would Stone Cold be without The Stunner, or is there a move the embodies Shawn Michaels more than The Superkick? Having the right move can also tell a story of your personality.

Over the last 20 years we have become so desensitized to moves. Well actually we've become desensitized to life. The Frankensteiner was new, I'ld never seen a headscissors that ended with a DDT like bump before, it blew my mind. I thought "What else is possible?". The Frankensteiner was innovation and revolutionary but most of all it was safe.

The industry now has this misconception that for something to be cool, then someone has to die. In the late 90s, I started seeing alot of brainbusters being used in various places. Its not hard to pick somone up in a suplex then drop them on their head. For awhile I had forgot how safe the brainbuster could be the way Koko B. Ware or Dick Murdoch used it. Somethings need to change... back.

I'm not saying we should "devolve" as a business but we can for sure be safer. The business can only strive with talent individuals at the helm. What will happen to the business if the ones with all the talent are dropped on their heads by some goof who created a new move on Smackdown vs Raw 2010? If the story is there then you don't need a Three Flip Springboard Cradle Piledriver with a Bridge... I promise.