Tuesday, January 26, 2010

(WGN) Georgiann Makropoulos passes away!!

----I received this in my e-mail tonight and I was sadden to hear it. Before the world was internet infested, wrestling kayfabe sheets were put out by typewriters and copiers. Georgiann was a pioneer in putting out fanzines and was very instrumental in getting the word out about newsletters like the Wrestling Observer Newsletter, Squared Circle [which I worked on for about a year] and the former fanzine - TU Rasslin Riot [my own zine]. She will be missed!!

=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

WRESTLING GLOBE NEWSLETTER
Monday January 25, 2010

=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

GEORGIANN MAKROPOULOS PASSES AWAY

Very sad to report this evening that Georgiann Makopoulos passed earlier away today after suffering a massive heart attack. She was 67.

Makropoulos was well known and sincerely admired within the pro wrestling industry. I guess you could call her a "super fan" and maintained friendships with numerous wrestlers and promoters dating back nearly 50 years.

She wrote her own newsletter called Wrestling Chatterbox, a postal mail publication with news, photos and content that has been published monthly for over 22 years. She also spent much of her time working on the www.wrestlingfigs.com website posting fan reports and pictures from wrestling autograph signings and personal appearances.

I exchanged emails with Georgie on a regular basis since I started this newsletter in 1999. I last heard from her on January 3 where she remarked that she was tired of the cold weather in New York City and wished me well after I developed flu. She was a very nice and classy lady.

Georgie is survived by her husband George and a Siamese cat she loved dearly named Rocky.

Funeral arrangements:

Thomas Quinn & Sons Funeral Home
35-20 Broadway
Long Island City, NY
718-721-9200

There will be a wake Tuesday from 7-9 pm and Wednesday 2-5 pm and 7-9 pm. Funeral Mass is Thursday.


=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-