Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The Straight Flush "Presence and Promos" by Pokerface

Presence and Promos (Interviews)


I'm gonna get straight to the point. Presence and confidence can say alot for a person. And a lot of the time, the lack thereof can easily be spotted. I hate being at or watching a show where a wrestler, manager, etc is lacking any kinda flash. For instance wrestlers, whether they are a good or bad guy, who just walk to the ring with no expression, life, or excitement. Now granted my name is Pokerface, but even I show some kind of emotion. Or how about when a wrestler(s) are standing in the ring waiting on their opponent(s) and they just stand motionless until they arrive. I was told from the time I walk through the curtain, always do something, even if it is something small. Something is better than nothing. Take Chris benoit for example. he may not have not have been the most charismatic wrestler, but when he walked to the ring, he walked with a purpose. When in the ring waiting for his opponent, he would pace back and forth like a caged tiger or he would stretch and warm up. C'mon guys you can at least hit the ropes or slap yourself. And we wonder why people get bored at the shows. Who says that even on the indy level we can present ourselves like the guys in the big leagues. Guys when we watch tapes of our matches, lets not watch them just to stroke our own egos. Try to lean something. Even you turn down the volume when watching your matches from start to finish , would you honestly still be entertained? Think on that.


Promos - Promos and/or interviews in my opinion is what separates the boys from the men. I really feel that it's a lost art. Most of the biggest names in the business haven't been the best in-ring technicians, but have been some of the best talkers. For example Jerry Lawler, Hulk Hogan, Ric Flair, The Rock, Jackie Fargo, Stone Cold, Jesse Ventura, Ric Rude, Randy Savage, hell even Jim Cornette and Paul Heyman. Think about it. I guarantee you that most fights or even better, most emotions are stirred up more by words than actions. If you had two guys that wrestled and looked exactly alike, but one couldn't give an interview, and the other had the gift of gab like a Rick Rude, who do think the crowd would pay to see first? But I don't think that there are too many guys in the indies or the big leagues, that can talk asses in the seats. I once heard that Jackie Fargo wasn't that good when it came to pure wrestling, but he would talk so good on the mic, that you didn't care, you just wanted to see him kick somebody's ass. I've been at shows where I knew what Jerry Lawler's interview was going to be about, but it he talks so naturally and with such ease, I'm drawn into it like I'm hearing it for the first time. FYI, I'm non kissing ass with that last sentence either. Or how about when Bill Dundee gives a hellified post match interview after Kamala has jumped him. I really wanna see him beat the shit out of Kamala. But I guess that's the fan in me. So guys let's work on the whole package. But if you aren't the most athletically inclined, at least be able to talk so good people will never know it. Hey look at Hulk Hogan, but what does he know? Until text time, God Bless, and keep your pimp hand strong.