Sunday, August 08, 2010

RRX: BacktoBack: Turnbuckle Madness with Alan Steel by George Wren

----Here is a real good interview with Alan Steel [or Steele..lol].  And tomorrow Wren will have his last interview with RRO with James Beard.


Turnbuckle Madness
with George Wren
"All That" Alan Steel

GW: When were you born?
AS: July 8, 1976

GW: Where were you born?
AS: Memphis, Tennessee

GW: Where are you currently residing at the present time?
AS: Horn Lake, Mississippi

GW: Who trained you?
AS: "Superstar" Bill Dundee with a supporting cast of Derrick King, Rude, Blade Boudreaux, Lance Jade

GW: What was your training like?
AS: Drove from Memphis to Jackson, Tennessee every week to train in the back of a Taekwondo dojo. Learned basic wrestling holds, proper ways to land to protect myself, and a few high flying moves.

GW: Do you remember your first match?
AS: Yes

GW: Who was it against and how did the match go?
AS: It was against Rude. I was known at the time as "The Handsome Stranger"... same as Buff Bagwell's old character. Very basic. I won with a crossbody block off the top rope.

GW: What titles have you held?
AS: Honestly, I don't keep track of wins/losses, number of matches, titles held, etc.

GW: What promotions have you worked for?
AS: Just about every promotion in the Mid-South. I currently wrestle for Traditional Championship Wrestling, Xplosive Championship Wrestling(Mo's new group), Primetime Championship Wrestling, USA Championship Wrestling, Ringside Championship Wrestling just to name a few. I had the most fun in my career during the time I worked for Power Pro Wrestling in Memphis.

GW: Who has been some of your toughest opponents?
AS: I've been in the ring with alot of tough guys, but early in my career the worst butt kicking I took was at the hands of none other than Wolfie D. The Power Pro wrestlers will remember this one I'm sure.

GW: You worked for Power Pro Wrestling in Memphis how long was you there?
AS: About 3 years

GW: What was your thoughts working for Power Pro?
AS: I was welcomed into a family when I started wrestling there. I had my tryout match against one of the best guys I've been in the ring with..."Sensational" Steve Bradley who was managed that night by a man who has since become one of my best friends in this business "Downtown" Bruno Lauer. I was asked to come to channel 5 the next morning and got to wrestle Derrick King in my first televised match. I was extremely nervous. I paid alot of dues when I first started. I was put in the ring with bigger, stronger, more experienced, and all around better athletes than myself. I got my fair share of butt whoopings, but took every one of them in stride and used them as learning experiences. It made me not only love the wrestling business more every day, but I also developed a ton of respect for wrestling and all of the wrestlers. I was eventually given an opportunity to showcase my talent and abilities, and tried to do the very best I could in every match, interview, etc.

GW: You worked Power Pro up until their last show on tv in 2001. Where did you go after Power Pro shut down?
AS: I continued to wrestle in several of the promotions in the Mid-South.

GW: What do think was the fall with Power Pro to have shut them down?
AS: Honestly, I don't know. I heard several different scenarios that were the supposed downfall. All I know is that I wish it didn't have to shut down that was a very sad day in my career and life.

GW: Do you perfer wrestling as a "heel" or "baby"?
AS: I pretty much wrestle the same either way, but there is just something that deep down inside me really enjoys being a heel.

GW: You have also did some tag team in your career as well out of all the guys you teamed with who was the one you enjoyed the most teaming up with?
AS: "Mr. Violent" Rob Harlem aka Sir Mo

GW: You have made several cameo apperances for World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE). How did all that come about?
AS: I've had a couple of people try to help me with that. As you know there are alot of politics involved in this business, and if you don't have somebody to vouch for you, you can pretty much hang it up. I had some special people who believe in me and my abilities who stuck their necks on the line for me and help arrange those appearances.

GW: Have you ever been contacted by the WWE or TNA to do any dark matches when they are in town?
AS: Yes

GW: Did you watch wrestling as a kid?
AS: Every chance I got... On Saturday mornings you could find me in front of the tv watching Memphis wrestling. I also used to watch Global Championship Wrestling, G.L.O.W. (Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling don't know if i should be ashamed of this one or not LOL!), and WWF. And, just about every Monday Night my dad, sister, uncle, and myself would be at the Mid-South Coliseum to watch the wrestling live.

GW: Who was some of your favorites grwoing up?
AS: Curt Hennig, Shawn Michaels, Jerry Lawler, Bill Dundee, Austin Idol, Eddie Gilbert, Jeff Jarrett, Brian Christopher, Kerry Von Erich, Hulk Hogan

GW: What are the highlight(s) of your career?
AS: Well when I started training to be a wrestler I set 3 goals for myself. (1) wrestle in the Mid-South Coliseum (2) wrestle on Memphis tv (3) wrestle for WWE.
I have accomplished all of these. Later on, I added a 4th to obtain a full time contract from the WWE. This one I have not achieved yet. Some other highlights include getting to wrestle Shane Douglas, Jerry Lynn, Chris Masters, Chris Hamrick, Sonny Siaki, King Mabel, etc. I am proud to say that I have been able to stand in the ring and hold my own with these stars and countless others. Also, I am on the "New and Improved DX" dvd in one of my before-mentioned cameo appearances...Look for the arresting officer having the conversation with Shawn Michaels.

GW: If you could change one thing about yourself or your career what would it be?
AS: Getting signed to that WWE contract.

GW: What do you feel the wrestling business is lacking as a whole?
AS: Territories and higher standards. What I mean by higher standards is that it has become way too easy to enter the Professional Wrestling Industry. I have heard lots of stories about how hard it was to be allowed in back years ago. It seems like today if you can buy or even make a ring; you can own your very own wrestling promotion. That is why there are so many untrained and poor quality wrestlers in existence today.

GW: Have you ever thought about branching out from Memphis possibly up north or even in Puerto Rico?
AS: Yes, I have wrestled outside of the Memphis area on several occasions. I have my sights set on trying to go out of the country to Canada, Puerto Rico, and quite possibly Japan.

GW: Now since you broke into the business you have a good head on your shoulders, and basically keep your nose clean and out of all the politics, to even being loyal as this comes from one of your peers Mo (a.k.a. Rob Harlem)... How does that make you feel coming from one of your peers?
AS: It makes me feel good. I made a conscious effort to stay away from alot of the extracurricular activities that some of my fellow wrestlers seem to enjoy when I first started. And, I am proud to say that 12 years later, I am still holding strong to that. If you ask around, the guys that really know me they will tell you that I have never been into some of the partying and night scenes that most of the other guys participate in. Yeah, I got to hear about it from a few people, but I also earned alot of people's respect by staying true to who I was and to this day still am. It's kinda funny, I developed the nickname of "the boyscout" because I stayed out of trouble, and always did "the right thing"

GW: Now your a part of the very first edition to Mo's Xplosive Championship Wrestling (XCW) which debuted July 18, 2010 in Newbern, Tennessee as it looks like your going to be one of the main headliner's for this group as you defeated Jerry Lynn. What was your feelings being in the ring with Jerry Lynn and being apart of this premiere company?
AS: I enjoy wrestling Jerry Lynn. This is not the first time we have faced each other. There is something special when you look across the ring at your opponent and you know that your match is about to be very competitive and exciting. It makes you step it up and bring your "A" game. I am genuinely excited about Xplosive Championship Wrestling. They have alot of experience in all the key positions in their company, and I see a bright future for XCW.

GW: Where do you see Mo taking the company or do you feel it will fall to the waste side once it starts going because of possibly finance issues?
AS: Well, I certainly hope that financial or any other issues won't be too much of a roadblock. I don't foresee anybody ever catching up with WWE, but maybe XCW will be able to do some big things on a regional level. I have heard some of the veterans talk about the "loop" back in the USWA days, and that is something I would love to see recreated.

GW: Now you have worked around the Dyersburg Tennessee area as well. What are your thoughts on Jeremy Moore basically taking over Dyersburg Tennessee and the booking problems Dyersburg has been facing as of this year from The Walker's, to the fallen out with Derrick King?
AS: I have to give credit where credit is due. Nobody and I mean nobody gave Jeremy Moore a chance when he decided he wanted to run his own wrestling promotion. But, he did it. Through the good, bad, and ugly he has now become the owner of not 1 but 2 companies. He stepped up to the plate and knocked it out of the park when nobody thought he could. Now, the Walker's and Derrick King saga is a soap opera or reality show just watiting to happen. There are alot of versions of what exactly what went down between everybody involved, and alot of opinions about both parties. I wasn't there, so I don't know and furthermore don't really care. As far as the opinions about them goes...I look at it like this... Opinions are like booty holes. Everybody has them, and they usually stink (LOL!)

GW: What are your hobbies?
AS: I enjoy working out, watching movies, and spending time with my fiance and my dogs

GW: What do you do to relax when your away from the ring?
AS: I have become pretty good at lying on the couch.(LOL!)

GW: Favorite actors/actress?
AS: Will Smith, Kate Hudson

GW: Favorite movie?
AS: Currently Avatar. I am a big fan of action and comedy movies combine the two and I'll watch it.

GW: What are your likes about the business?
AS: It's kinda hard to pick out what I like when I LOVE the wrestling business.

GW: What are your dislikes about the business?
AS: The unnecessary political games you get stuck playing, and the fact that sometimes it seems like any and everybody can become a professional wrestler.

GW: What does it take for someone to be successful in the wrestling business today?
AS: The right combination of talent, looks, ability, connections, and luck.

GW: What are your future plans?
AS: Continue wrestling and becoming the best I can at it. I also plan to go back to college and get my bachelor's degree.

GW: What is your thoughts on the fans?
AS: They are the reason I lace up my boots every night. Without them, there is no us. Whether they are cheering for me or booing me out of the building, I am grateful for each and every last wrestling fan in the world today.

GW: Any closing words?
AS: I would like to thank every fan, opponent, partner, friend, and brother I have had the opportunity to come in contact with these last 12 plus years. You guys and gals have helped mold and shape me into the athlete, artist, and most of all the man that I am today. Thank You all so much, my life would not be the same without you. I have enjoyed getting to showcase my abilities and entertain you. Keep your eyes and ears open, and expect big things, because they don't call me "All That" for nothing.

GW: Alan, on behalf of myself, and RRO (Rasslin Riot) I want to thank you for your time for sitting down with the staff and we wish you all the best.
AS: Thank you very much.

photo credit: Alan Steel collection

RRX is the new exclusive label of www.rronews.com - it lets you the reader know that you read it FIRST here at RRO!!