Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Just My Thoughts from a Trainee by Justin Bryson

----I got via Facebook the other day and wanted to share it with everyone.  


----I have said before about this site, but I don't only consider it only a gossip, news or results site, but a learning tool.  Everyone from legends to trainees give their 2 cents and hopefully in between all that you as a fan or worker can learn something about this business.  


Just My Thoughts from a Trainee by Justin Bryson


I know some of you are going to say, who the hell is this guy to comment on this, but the only reason I fill a need to comment is that I've been an announcer (for TLCW/EWE and LAW) looking for someone to train me. I could have went with anyone but I had some reasonably priced offers, which were tempting, but when it came down to it my only two options were Greg Anthony, or Derrick King due to skill and knowledge (NEW was not around at the time). 


When it comes to learning the wrestling business money can't be an issue, so I went with The "Golden Boy" Greg Anthony. I work a slightly above minimum wage job in Paragould, AR with 2 kids, but I still drive two plus hours a week to train in Ripley, TN. Every dollar, and every minute spent on the road is well worth it, when you're doing something you love, and know that you're getting the proper training for your buck. 


I'd like to note, that I have never met Cujo, and I'm not one to comment on his ability in the ring, but I do know I've never seen him up for any RRO awards, or heard his name mentioned once backstage at any of the TCW,RCW, LAW or EWE shows I've worked. (Which harvest some of the best talent in the area in my opinion.)

If anyone ever ask who a good trainer in the area is before they can get the sentence out I recommend TGB. Obviously Anthonys' one of the most respected workers in the area, and I've trained with him off and on (mostly on lately) for the past couple of years, and now that my training is in its last few weeks/months I realize how lucky I am to have such a great trainer. 


When I read about what happen to Jeremy Wood I said to myself "Golden Boy would have never let that happen." Sure training is rough sometimes, but If I'm ever showing any signs of severe fatigue or injury he knows there are better ways to pay your dues to the business than to have a separated shoulder, or worse be in the kind of state Jeremy Wood is in. Injuries and wrestling go hand and hand, but you have to draw a line somewhere. 


This past week for example I was having problems doing a springboard crossbody out of the corner for some reason. Not sure why, but I just couldn't get it down. We ended up making a deal, if I couldn't do it the next time, then I had to bump off the top. (Which I had done in the past and had been properly trained how to do, but of course free falling off of the top rope isn't ideal) Nonetheless by the end of the night I probably ended up bumping off of the top 8 or more times, but if at ANY, and I mean ANY point I would have looked incapable of doing it then it would have come to a halt right then and there. As a trainee you're going to do whatever your trainer says, regardless of how much you don't want to, but a good trainer wouldn't put someone into the predicament that Jeremy Wood ended up being put in in the first place.

Just my thoughts,
Justin Bryson