Monday, December 06, 2010

Monday Conversation with Dustin Starr

----Dustin Starr joined RRO on Monday via e-mail for Conversation.


-First off, welcome back from FCW and back to the Memphis area.  Let the readers of RRO first know - what happened with the release??
 
It's great to be back home.  I mean that from the bottom of my heart.  I've missed all of my friends and family so very much.  In the ten months I've been gone, I feel like I've missed so much.  So, it's certainly good to be back.
 
As far as what happened with the release?  Well, nothing happened.  Nothing in particular lead to my release.  It's just something that happens in this business and we have to learn to live with it.  I'm not bitter.  I'm not mad.  I'm confident that I'll be back, one day, in a different capacity than what I was in this time around.
 
The release is the nature of the beast.  I was told that my "passion was with performing and entertaining & not necessarily refereeing."  I couldn't agree more.  I'm a performer.  That's what I do.  So, no hard feelings.  I left on very good terms.
 
-Did working as a ref bother you as much as it seem to bother people in this area??  I heard many times about how you were "just a ref," even though you were working for the #1 wrestling company in the world.
 
I have a feeling that it bothered others a LOT more than it bothered me.  When I changed my Twitter account to "Daniel Skyler" and updated the photo, I was blown up with responses.  It was a shock to so many people.  The wrestlers in the area were thinking, "if he can't make it as a wrestler there, then how am I going to make it there as a wrestler?"  I've heard it so many times.  And my fans, well, they were just disappointed. 
 
I had a job.  A great job.  I was in the ring with some of the best athletes in the world of wrestling.  I trained with the likes of Ricky Steamboat, Dusty Rhodes, Dr. Tom Prichard, Norman Smiley, Road Warrior Animal, Jamie Noble, Dean Malenko, Mideon, Mike Graham, Jim Ross... the list is endless. 
 
"Just a ref" is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.  Of course, I wanted to wrestle.  But when you're given an opportunity, you take it.
 
-You were there when the Nexus group made their debut.  Was it something that FCW planned for them or where you in on any of that?
 
No.  FCW had nothing to do with any of it.  The group was just about to start NXT, when I arrived.  All of them were very nice and very professional.  It was no surprise that they're becoming stars.
 
The angle was so strong, in fact, that the Nexus guys weren't being used on FCW TV or on the FCW Live Events.  They were just so powerful. 
 
-Any guys that in your opinion, people should be looking for "coming up" from FCW??
 
Oh yeah.  Certainly.  There are guys that I loved working with, there.  Whether it was reffing or wrestling, it was always a pleasure to be in the ring with, because they knew what they were doing. 
 
Richie Steamboat and I became very good friends.  He'll be there.  Seth Rollins (former Tyler Black) will be there.  Big E Langston was one of my favorites there.  Trent Barretta, mark my words, will be the next HBK.  He's unbelievable, in the ring.  Xavier Woods & Wes Brisco... the list goes on and on.  The crop of NXT guys, right now in Season 4, are very, very good.  I recommend everyone watching. 
 
There are so many talented guys on the roster.  You'll be seeing more and more of them, as time passes.  WWE needs them. 
 
-Is the door open at the WWE??  Do you expect to go back?
 
Of course, the door is open at WWE.  I will continue to work shows with them, as I always have.  And as far as being signed again, I think it's definitely a possibility.  I was told to go out and work.  Keep them up to date on what I'm doing and where I'm doing it.  So, that's what I'll do. 
 
A friend of mine told me a few days ago, "you keep going.  You never give up on dreams, no matter what.  Chase them for the rest of your life."  She's right.  And that's what I'm going to do.

-Would you consider working TNA now??
 
Absolutely. 


-I think this is important to the many workers that read this - what is some simple advice you could give to them about getting a job??
 
Get in the gym.  Get in the ring.  Work hard.  Work a lot.  WATCH WRESTLING.  And send tapes.
 
There's a stigma on the indies that you shouldn't watch WWE.  You shouldn't watch TNA.  Why not?  If that's where you want to be, you better watch.
 
-What are you plans right now?  RRO has heard rumors of you going to NEW?
 
I will be in NEW on December 10th.  I will not be wrestling.  I will be doing an interview there.  I've also come to an agreement with the Mississippi RiverKings' hockey team to be their emcee at all home games, once again.  I'm keeping busy. 
 
I'm still in touch with WWE, from time to time, to see if there are any opportunities on the rise.  Tough Enough is being cast and you can vote for me at http://realitywanted.com/dustinstarr  Please vote.
 
I probably will not wrestle until January.  I need to get my body back in shape and workout in the ring a bit, to get the rust off.  I will be ready, when the time comes.  Don't worry.
 
I want to thank all of my friends and fans for all of the support.  I'd like to thank WWE and FCW for allowing me to live my dream.  Dr. Tom Prichard, Steve Keirn and Norman Smiley are true professionals and I will never forget how much they've helped me.  Also, Alfred "Simpson", I owe you a big thank you, as well.  I appreciate all the hard work on the shows that I was able to perform on. 
 
Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/dustinstarr
Friend me on Facebook at
And be sure to vote me into WWE's Tough Enough at http://realitywanted.com/dustinstarr