Friday, February 18, 2011

The Golden Circle "Did You Know?" by Greg Anthony

----New column from Greg Anthony.

I'm sure most of my readers have seen the "Did you know?" segment during WWE programming. Providing fun facts to boast about some of the companies achievements in entertainment. I thought it would be fun to do my own version providing maybe some information that might be of interest to some you. I hope I don't get a copyright letter from WWE legal and here we go.
 
Did you know that "Skinning the Cat" comes from the phrase "There's more than one way to skin a cat."? Meaning that there is more than one way to get into the ring.
 
Did you know that Stan Hansen is credited with inventing the clothesline/lariat? I heard Jim Ross say this years ago and then found it true with several other sources. I've watched wrestling from before Hansen's debut and have yet to see a clothesline, so if you dispute this fact find me some footage proving so and I'll post a retraction.
 
What move are you going for when you shoot a guy in the corner, you charge, he moves and you end crotching yourself on the 2nd turnbuckle? No its not the dreaded Hugging Crotch Splash. Did you know it is The Monkey Flip? Whenever I asked people this early my career, I got answers like "Because its wrestling." It wasn't until Goldust was wrestling on Sunday Night Heat and went for a Monkey Flip got pushed off and went for it again that the psychology became clear. Thank you Goldust.
 
And speaking of Goldust, Montreal wasn't the first screwjob. In the early 30s, a powerful promoting group called The Goldust Trio performed the first memorable wrestling screwjob. A promotion had put the title on a famous football star in hopes of drawing more money but it was The Goldust Trio who gave the order to have a hooker embarress him in front of a sold out crowd pinning him over and over until the ref had no choice but to give the title to the challenger.
 
Did you know that the late "Playboy" Buddy Rose competed in the first match in Wrestlemania history under a hood as The Executioner losing to Tito Santana?
 
Did you know years later, 1996, Terry Gordy would be The Executioner for a short stint in WWF aligning himself with Mankind and Paul Bearer vs The Undertaker?
 
Did you know at one time Ric Flair was going to put over Buddy Landel as "The Nature Boy" but Landel got fired before this came to fruition? This is according the Ladel himself.
 
Would love some feedback on this article, so drop me an email, facebook message, text me or call me. You can myspace me but only if you want me to read it in say May or June. I promise.