Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Working For A Living...

----I got the following in Yahoo PM today and thought I would share it with my readers. The comment he is talking about was made by me about some of the regulars venturing out to other promotions, because the other promotions pay the wrestlers. [Remember, MEWA does not charge anything for the marks to get in] Now, I love the idea that MEWA draws such a big crowd and if you are a young guy that has not worked in front of crowds much, this is the place to work a big crowd. I actually only made the comment, because I have been told that a few of the guys have went other places – not because MEWA is bad, but that they do want to be paid. I have been told a few times that MEWA is close to covering their expenses with sponsors and will soon be paying the guys, which would be good for them.

----I had made comments about this in a feature article called “You Say I Say” in January. CLICK HERE to read it. After posting that article, I got a great letter from a true pro in this business – Beau James. I never printed the letter and I am thankful that I save everything. I ask Mr. Moose and all the workers in this area to take a look my article and read what James had to say.

"I think its kinda funny how people complain about MEW wrestlers NOT GETTING PAID…You see the only real ones that are bitching and moaning about pay offs or lack thereof need to look deep in themselves and question themselves whether or not they have wrestling in their heart..If they did they wouldn't be pissing and moaning and crying like a bunch of whinny ass tots. I for one don't do it for the money,I do it,cause it makes me as a parent when I see the smile on not only my children's faces but all the other children in the building. I know this probably won't be printed because it doesn't fit in anyone’s scheme of things to fight against MEW with, but MEW was built with wrestlers with HEART and it will survive with wrestlers with HEART....

Byg Daddy Moose

NOW FROM BEAU

I just finished reading the "You Say,I Say". No matter where you go it’s the same. I have worked all over the country and it’s the same shit every where. This guy makes $5 more or he is the bookers friends, etc. I dare them to get smart and realize its that way every where and always has been. This subject fires me up. The following is my take on it from one guy who cares to another.

I am one of the few very lucky ones that have wrestled for a living and still do. This is the only job I have ever had starting at 15 years old. I realized real fast how hard this business is and if you want to survive you better take care of number 1.

I loved this

"I at times think that the people that are just having fun may be killing it for the guys that want to make it big. Lots of workers know nothing about psychology, nothing about kayfabe and canĂ¢€™t do one move right. They are drawing those 50 crowds and when a few people come in and see these out of shape old guys that need to be at home watching on TV or in the crowd, then it hurts the chances of the young guys to make a living doing it. "

I f*%#ing hate it when they say I do this for fun. I always follow that up with what do you do for a living. How would you like it if I started coming to your job Monday and doing it for "fun" until you don't have a job left? Then I tell them if they want a hobby where they can bring the wife and kids (don't even get me started on that) and hangout then join a bowling team or play soft ball.

Not all things should come true. That's why it is called a dream. My dream was to play pro baseball. I was in 8 straight all star games from little league to high school. That did not mean I was going to the pros, hell even a notable NCAA school. Why do these guys think they can be a wrestler? And if they do it for free that means that they can't even be called a pro.

And the promoters don't help. If they let the guy work and say "Oh I don't have to pay him that's why he is here". What the hell does that say? You are saying he is not worth paying not even 1 cent. But I am asking people to pay to see him. How did our business get so messed up? O wait I know !! Wrestling Schools. For a few bucks they have let anyone in. Don't get me wrong there are a few (very few) schools out there that are good for our business.

When I broke in a wise old timer from Knoxville told me this. Treat wrestling as if it’s your wife. If you’re good to it it will be good to you. If you treat it like a whore then you will end up catching a disease. Well they have whored our business so bad we all need shots and monthly treatments.

I love our business. I have spent more than 1/2 my life in it. I have probably one of the biggest collections of videos, old programs and posters in the country. I still buy stuff off ebay and get excited when I come across something from the 60s or 70s.. But when I go to a town I go to work. It’s a job and they need to treat it that way. If they were making $10 a day at their jobs how long would they last?

Wrestling is a business based on drawing money. I loved the fact that you pointed out a few times in there they need to bring new people in that can help.

Also I have seen many talented guys from all over that should be wrestling for a living. They do everything right, they work hard, they have the drive and passion. But they still have no luck. They usually end up dropping out of site, becoming so bitter you can't be around them. Or just lose their damn mind. I have many case of all the above to point out.

It boils down to this once they are gone all you have left with is Jed from the gas station. There is nothing wrong with working at a gas station. What I am saying is I don't go over there and tune cars for free. Because I am not trained to do it our why would I want to hurt someone else by hurting their job. So don't take a booking. That spot belongs to someone who has paid the price for it.

Your crew is what your business is built on. Like a house. If you build a house on shit then it’s not going to stand long its just going to sink in the ground and fall.

And one last thing I read in there I think Mo said it. I too would take a young hungry crew who work together to make the entire product better over a crew with egos and bitching. I also like asking these guys with those huge egos - OK which one of you S.O.B.s drew those 47 people out there??

Beau James
Professional Wrestler