Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Do You Know What's Wrong With The Business Today???

----That is the common phrase that I get almost every time my friend Brian Thompson calls me. And during the course of about 30 minutes, we both bitch and moan about what we think is wrong with wrestling like we both were old timers. The deal is that we learn the business from some pretty smart guys in the business – Bobby Eaton, Ken Wayne, Bill Dundee, Dutch Mantell and Jerry Lawler to just “drop names.” So, let me tell you!! Please let me tell you!!! Let me tell you what’s wrong with the business today!!!

----Last Saturday night New Blood Wrestling in Dyersburg, TN the following skit took place to set up a match for this coming Saturday night---

“Manson [who recently changed his name here – known everywhere else as “Bulldog” Slim Pickens] then got the mic and told everyone that he is tired of beating up on Jeremy Moore. Every time they meet each other Manson beats him. He took his title and he took his pride so there is nothing left for him to take so he is done with him. Moore gets no more shots at the High Risk title. Jeremy Moore comes out to the ring and tells Manson that he doesn't want another shot at the title, he wants something else. Moore says how Manson is always primping and thinking he is hot stuff with his slicked back hair and his shiny new belt. Moore made the challenge for 1 more match against Manson. Tidwell told Moore that it would never happen because Manson has already beaten Moore more times than he can count. Walker then talked it over with Moore and the came up with the idea that if Manson would give Moore another match, Moore would put up his hair. Manson and Tidwell talked things over and came back with an agreement. So Walker said it was a done deal then. Next week, Moore vs Manson in a hair vs hair match and Walker and Moore walked off. Manson said that he did not agree to his hair being on the line and that he would not lose.”

----So let’s look at the angle. Why in the hell would Moore want a match with Pickens without the title on the line?? That makes no sense. Why would Manson have to put his hair up against Moore’s hair?? That makes no sense!! And why in the hell would you use ONE WEEK to promote a Hair vs Hair bout?? That makes no sense!!!!

----I have tried to give Jeremy Moore the benefit of the doubt, since he is a young kid still learning the business, but this skit and match build tells you why a 18 year old kid should not be booking shows. They have one of the hottest angles in the area with Mark Justice/Kilo [which I believe was Mark’s idea], but it doesn’t even draw bigger crowds – mainly because rest of the card [besides Edwards vs Tank – I could write another article on how good that was done, but I am not sure it will draw money] hasn’t been booked right. Remember this #1 thing – if you are not putting asses in the seats then the angles don’t mean shit. I hate that – because I thought at times I ran some of the best angles EVER in CCW, but very few actual angles drew any money for me.

----Ok, with that all said and done, I talked yesterday with two people inside of NBW and a few guys outside of NBW. The finish of the match Saturday night is supposed to be Pickens losing his hair. WTF?? I know this as fact – if anyone says anything different, then they are just trying to make themselves look good. I am also being told that Pickens does not want to lose his hair, but is too nice of a guy to say anything. He has been taught to keep his mouth shut and listen to the booker. Well, Pickens, I know you are a rookie. I preach on this site for the young guys to shut up, listen and learn. But, if I was Pickens, if they ask you to shave your head in a match like this that means absolutely nothing in the whole spectrum of this area – I would tell them to fuck off. There are a few more places around this area that will teach you more about the business and treat you with respect.