Monday, September 24, 2007

Coach's Corner - Monday Edition by Brian Tramel

----Let me know if you think this is offensive?? A white heel wrestler brings out a black valet. She is wearing real tight bright color clothing with lots of makeup, almost like a hooker. The white heel wrestler’s daddy comes out next and tells him “What are my grand kids going to look like??” The white heel wrestler tells the announcer that this is his new women and he is in love. And, he looks at the announcer and says, “You know what they say, you try black, you never go back.”

----Later in the show a white babyface comes out to talk to the announcer. He talks about the new black valet saying stuff like “you know how those girls are – you never know how many kids she has given birth to” The announcer just laughs and says, “Well they will not have to worry about paying her, because you know she is on welfare.” They also talk about her preparing Sunday dinner for the family and it being chitlins and watermelon. The white babyface leaves by also making a note about the grandkids – “What are they going to look like?” with the announcer and wrestler laughing.

----Did this offend anyone?? Well, it shouldn’t have bothered you. They did almost the same thing on Memphis Wrestling with the Kevin White angle introducing Sue Young this past weekend. I like Kevin and everything I have been told that Young really wants to make it in this business. I guess the angle is ok, because it is racist against Asians and not blacks. And, hey it was funny and everyone laughed about it backstage. Why do I care?

----Let me tell you this angle just shows you how pathetic and out of touch with the real world that wrestling is, especially Corey Maclin. I hope the best for Sue Young, but this was a horrible angle to debut with. The only bright spot would have her turn or come completely out of character telling the TV viewers how stupid Corey Maclin and Brian Christopher are to think that she is some dumb girl. Or maybe turn against Kevin telling him how she will not be treated like an Asian slave. But, hell I am talking about Memphis Wrestling and why should I expect anything to make sense when Corey Maclin can’t even get the names of the Clowns or the Hurricanes right. Ask yourself this also – how many Asian American people have you seen in your life? I have seen a lot and what makes them looks so different that Mr. White would question them??

----The major news sources have reported that Vince McMahon sent out over 500 letters offering drug rehab to former employees of the company. I think this is a way for the Vinnie Mac to cover his ass, but it can also be helpful. It will helpful for him and anyone that does take him up on his offer. It will look good for him when he goes to the Congressional hearings. If I had worked for Vince in the past and could not kick a drug habit of any kind, then this will be the perfect time to take him up on his offer. Just think about this though – what if he has like say only about 5% of the people take him up on his offer? It will prove the fact that HE was not the cause of any of the drug use and such.

----I got my first look at Vince on the HBO segment this weekend. This was an update of the story that aired in June of 2004 including the Benoit story, comments from Buff Bagwell and other stuff. Vince came off as a heartless person; surprised?? When asked if he knows why they're dying under the age of 45, McMahon got pissed and said, "Why don't you ask yourself that question. Are you indicating that is my responsibility that these people are dead… I would accept no responsibility for their untimely deaths, none whatsoever. You've got that little look on your face that says, ‘Jeez, Vince, how could you possibly say that?'" Does anyone think that Vince does not have any responsibility in these deaths?? If I owned a company and I had that many people die, then I would start questioning myself a bit. But, this is Vince and he is Satan!!

----The new stuff with Buff Bagwell was priceless. I thought he came off good and candid with reporter Arman Keteyian. It has been reported all over the internet that Buff said that he took 4 does of painkillers a day, but I think he said he took 4 doses of two different painkillers a day – Soma & Lorcet. Lorcet is just a brand name for Hydrocodone or slang “hydros.” If he is taking 4 doses of both of these a day, then he is feeling no pain. I have been told by a few people that hydros and somas both have the same effect after you take them for a long time. You then have to take more and more to get the same effect. I have taken both of these drugs prescribed to me by my doctor for back problems and they do the trick for taking away the pain. Keteyian looked surprised when Bagwell said he had taken some before the interview and then Bagwell ask him, “Have you ever broken your neck?” I loved that!!

----As you can tell by what I write in various posts, my views on drugs in wrestling is bit warped. I don’t believe you have to have steroids to be a good wrestler. I do know that for many years, it has been the look and that is what has been done. As I have said, steroids did not turn Chris Benoit into a killer and the more we learn it is from all the blows to the head that he had taken in this career. I can only think of one wrestler that claims to have never taken pain pills or steroids and that is Lance Storm. He has said it enough that I believe him. I truthfully do not know how any of the guys that either do this as weekend warriors or on the road with a major promotion most of the year, do not do pain pills. I personally can tell you this – I have NEVER seen a wrestler turn down a pain pill. In all honesty, when I was doing shows – 1 to 3 a week – I took as many pain pills as the next guy. It would take the pain edge off and if they are not abused they usually do not affect your performance in the ring.

----Well, I have talked about racism and admitted to taking pain pills. I guess that does it for this edition of Coach’s Corner. Hope everyone has a good week and look for me again on Thursday.