Tuesday, September 11, 2007

A Piece of my Mind Sept 11th 2007 By "The Big Cheese" Sal Corrente


Being a full time working professional wrestler is one of the rarest opportunities in all of entertainment and sport. There are so few opportunities and so many wanting to fill them. Thus it concerns me when I see someone getting a push that may not be prime time and ready. Candice Michelle has been one of those less than ready. In fact, she was horrible when she started. I actually think horrible is being kind. In recent months, however, she has obviously put in the work and effort. As a result she has become one of the more enjoyable lady wrestlers out there today. I have to respect that kind of dedication to the business. Obviously, her looks alone would keep her around along time. But she looked beyond that and wanted to have pride in herself. She has started to work out with obvious improvement in the ring. . Hopefully she will continue to improve at the same pace. She can now be looked at as more than the GoDaddy.com girl.

Another top WWE star is Victoria. In her I see the best and toughest lady wrestler today. Unlike the days of The Fabulous Moolah when she dominated wrestling despite the fact that there were several women who, I believe, could have taken her with little problem. It is exactly the reverse with Victoria who can walk through everyone she works with. You almost have to wonder why the WWE does not takes a girl who has talent and abilities beyond her peers and make the next Fabulous Moolah out of her.
I have had the pleasure of meeting Victoria on a few occasions. She is always pleasant goes out of her way when she sees a new person. She introduces herself and says Hi I’m Lisa. If we are all honest, we judge people almost instantly. If this is true and I believe it is, the majority of people walk away from Victoria thinking positively.

In the world of TNA is it to hard to guess who is calling the shots? I have to say it sure looks to me like Vince Russo is. Doesn’t the whole Pacman Jones atrocity smell of when Vince Russo put the title on himself and the David Arquette incident? I can not get over TNA they just don’t get it. If I was TNA other than Chris Jericho, Brock Lesnar or Goldberg I wouldn’t waste another dime on trying to come up with the answer in some piece of talent. There are numerous other ways to improve your product. If you want to change something about the talent, change the acrobatic impossible to build a story work style. I don’t think that TNA will ever get better until someone understands this war isn’t being lost because you have the wrong soldiers. If you want to understand TNA management go to You Tube and search for the Marx Bros. and Margaret Dumont. This will give you a clue as to what must go on during TNA management meetings.


What do you think of Hornswoggle as Vince’s son? If you’re upset with the choice you should be upset at yourself not with Vince. In fairness to Vince he is consistent; the whole angle was a joke to begin with. I find it sad that people continue to get sucked in by this guy. The WWE is a joke and they will continue to treat it as a joke as long as the fans allow it. I am starting to wonder if Vince isn’t the biggest mark of them all. He books the company for his own amusement not the pleasure of the people paying his bills. I laughed at the choice and enjoyed the end of the program for one reason and one reason only. The expectations I had were set properly. When will everyone realize what the WWE is? It is like many other cartoons, think about it many of the worlds greatest cartoons appear to be for children but they are really for adults. If you really think about Bugs Bunny and The Flintstones to name two so many of the references and situations could not possibly be understood by a child of five. So in WWE we have another cartoon for adults. So enjoy the fun and amusement that is Hornswoggle for weeks to come. Also hold close to you that fact that storyline and continuity mean nothing in WWE. So if at anytime Vince wants to change his mind and make someone else his son he can surely do it.

I am aware the buzz was that Mr. Kennedy was supposed to be announced as Vince’s son. All of that went down the tubes when Kennedy was suspended. Didn’t he look all the more foolish after going on TV and claiming he was clean as a whistle. I agree with everyone else that Mr. Kennedy has what it takes to be a superstar in this business. His climb to the top will be more determined by his conduct outside the ring than his conduct in the ring. If he continues to make the very foolish choice he made in this situation than he will be another one that could have been.

It was normal after Madison Square Garden had run for everyone to head over to the Ramada Inn at 48th and 8th. There were many funny things that happened at the bar in the hotel. It was a gathering spot for everyone. It was the place I first met Jimmy Hart. However, on this night I saw my buddy “Dr. D” David Shultz at the front desk checking in. I went over and slapped him on the back; he turned around ready to hit me, saw that it was me and stopped. I remember his exact words, Sal people get hurt that way, its ok but I am just telling you people get hurt that way. I found it to be quite strange that David would over react like that and I couldn’t understand it. It wasn’t until later that I found out what the real problem was. This was the night that will live down in history as the night John Stossel got slapped. It was understandable to me now why David was so on edge. In later years we went overseas together and this was truly a great great heel and great worker. If anyone thinks that this incident wasn’t another case of the sacrificial lamb you are fooling yourself.

You will find the picture above is me(as Friday) with Kamala this was part of the Australia tour in 1992.