Thursday, October 18, 2007

"Coach's Corner" - Thursday Night Edition!!

----Fellow RRO columnist Gene Jackson has less apathy than I do for the flight of the team of Ricky Morton and Robert Gibson. I do have to agree on some points in that when it comes to support for your child and such. I do not feel sorry for him. He should have kept up with that. I am told he is a good dad and a lot of what he owes is based on a whole different time and lifestyle. I do know you can go to court and get a thing like that changed, so I can’t see the validity of him owing money from the R&R era.

----Robert Gibson is another story though. I have never heard a bad word about Gibson. This is good considering he is has been a professional wrestler since 1977. In January of this year he was offered a job to work in the developmental system at OVW for the WWE. This gave him a regular job so that he did not have to worry about being on the road all the time trying to make money. He had to be a dream job for a guy who was on the top of the world and probably doesn’t have a dime to show for it. The details have been sketchy, but I have talked with someone that said that Al Snow and Robert Gibson got a royal ass chewing for their treatment of Tony Atlas. Gibson and Snow’s lack of respect for Atlas around the current OVW crew lead to the release of Gibson. I hate that Gibson got released, but I hate it more that Atlas was the cause of it.

----Am I not getting something here?? When did Atlas become a wrestling expert?? Compare him to Gibson or Snow?? There is no comparison. I am not sure how good a teacher that Gibson is, but the actual experience he can give and knowledge is nothing compared to Atlas; right?? I mean Atlas was tag team champion with Rocky Johnson and a Hall of Famer, but does it compare with the talent that Gibson or Snow has?? And, if you think I bitch a lot about if a promotion does not draw, it does not make you successful, then you should watch the RF Snow shoot.

----The story of Giant Gonzales or El Gigante is a unique one, but not all that uncommon in pro wrestling. Ted Turner was told by his NBA scouts that this guy in Argentina could just take the basketball and drop it in the hoop. If this guy was that big, then Ted thought he would be the next BIG THING in the NBA. Well, that is what Turner thought about his new daft pick for the Atlanta Hawks. It didn’t work though, because Gonzales was so clumsy that he couldn’t play basketball, so Turner said, “let him wrestle!!” Gonzalas made a career out of being a “Giant” and mostly a comedy figure to the wrestling world. Vince McMahon loved him too and he signed him as soon as he was available. Vince put him in that hilarious suit and his one major feud was with the Undertaker. He was always a guilty pleasure for me for some reason. I guess it was kinda like you when you just HAVE to look at a car wreck. I would mark out for a Gonzales match in the hopes of just a horrible hilarious bout. I recently read that Gonzales is confined to a wheelchair due to illness and it probably didn’t help him wrestling and bumping. This guy had a 5 year career and most WWE fans remember him, because of his huge size. [I wonder if Giant Khali will be like that??] It was recently announced that he signed a deal for a action figure for the Jakks Classic Superstar 16 series and www.wrestlingfigs.com released a photo yesterday of it from the Toy Fair. Does that look cool or what?? LOL Do me a favor and go get yourself a Giant Gonzales figure sometime in December and maybe it will help him out.

----Everyone is writing about the end of ECW and I hate it. It is my favorite wrestling show, but apparently Sci-Fi is not happy about it. WWE thinks they might end up canceling it mainly due to the fact that the ratings are not great and Sci-Fi wants more control with wackier characters and such. I loved it with Kane coming out to team with CM Punk Tuesday night. It felt like an independent show where a “star” made an appearance. Is that what the ECW crew wants to feel like?? Hell, I am sure most of them could care less, if they got a regular job and still have TV. If TV does get canceled, then why not pitch an extra hour to USA or I guess they will completely do away with ECW, but how many wrestlers do they really have on their roster?? Morrision & Miz wrestled twice this week?? Also for those who pointed out that ECW guys did jobs for Smackdown guys – it really doesn’t matter!! They work for the same freakin company!! If they do merge, then Smackdown usually does feature the best wrestling in the WWE. Last week they had Finley vs Rey and Kane/Taker vs Hardy/MVP. For those that still may have that tag still on tape or TIVO – go back and watch it!! It was not your typical baby/heel psychology, but it got over EVERYONE in that bout.

----A quick final side note on Gonzales and my whole “not putting anybody over” line. I was in the O’Hara airport in Chicago staying a miserable hour layover, because I had missed my flight. As I was walking through the terminal, I noticed standing in the line to get on their plane was Gonzales and Junkyard Dog. I just walked up to both guys and shook their hands and said, “nice to meet you.” Gonzales’ hand was huge!! It made my hand look like a baby hand, but…….LOL The first time I told this story about me meeting these two guys, my friend from New York, Steve Mastropietro ask “So what did you think about Gonzales?” And, I responded, “Ah, he wasn’t that big…” I had just seen the biggest human being I have ever seen in my life and I wouldn’t even put him over.

----Thanks for reading!! Please join me again on Saturday for another edition of "Coach's Corner."