Tuesday, October 16, 2007

A Piece of my Mind Oct 16th, 2007-by "The Big Cheese" Sal Corrente


Through out history in the world of entertainment, many things have been copied or duplicated, some in a very blatant way. I will just mention a few. Do you think that if it was not for the enormous success of Bewitched in the 60’s, that I Dream of Jeannie would have been created? I was a huge fan of The OC. I mean "huge". It’s been gone for a season or two now. The stars have all scattered. Some aren’t doing much of anything. If they are, it’s not making its way into the headlines. There is a new show now called "Gossip Girl". It’s referred to as "The OC of NY". These are just two of THOUSANDS of examples. With that being said, you would think that WWE would see what’s hot and happening today and run with it. How much does it take to figure out that reality TV makeover shows, real life situations like "The Surreal House", "Sunset Tan", "HOGAN KNOWS BEST" Boy is that not a hint for you? Why not replicate some of what people seem to be interested in? How about some BACHELOR type segments with your most eligible male talent? How about getting out to the people, drawing a line in the sand and realize that this short little stupid, insulting vignette's are killing your company? The Cheese Has Moved people move with it. You could do some BACHELORETTE type segments with the Diva’s making this stuff legit or as legit as it is on the networks. I realize there will be some splicing and dicing but this can work. How about a "Surreal Life" with Hornswoggle, Maria, Val Venis, The Boogie Man, Bid Daddy V, Victoria and Torrie, perhaps a few others. You have some good people, this stuff would equal (increase ... improve) ratings and help produce episodic television that people would eventually tune into. This isn’t overly creative stuff. This is called "going with the flow". This is called "listening to the audience". This is how the real world survives. You think there are too many doctor shows on TV? Well I am not sure the rest of America would agree with you if you do. I can remember the day when Westerns were the rage. Is anyone in Stamford listening? Your tongue doesn’t always have to be in your cheek. Some of you diehards might be saying "we want more wrestling not this other stuff". I will say you aren’t going to get more wrestling. That's evident by what we see week in and week out. I want more wrestling too. But if we aren’t going to get it, and get it from the William Regal’s of the world, then why not at least go with the current trends? Involve the public and open the business back up to the type of people who watched it during the glory days of the eighty’s when the WWE was hip. The way things are today reminds me of the T-Shirts that Joel Goodheart used to sell. I’m out of the closet no longer meek. I can finally admit it I’m a wrestling freak.
The next thing I would do is I would pursue some of the legends. My top suggestions would be The Rock and Roll Express, The Midnight Express (Eaton and Condrey since Stan Lane is retired) or Jake “The Snake” Roberts. In reality, with all the information that I have, I would lean towards the Midnight Express or I could take a tag team and a singles guy and add Jake Roberts into it. I would take a legendary manager, like a Jimmy Hart or Paul Heyman, and have those guys help recreate these men. I would re-make them from top to bottom. I would get hair transplants for Jake and Dennis. I would get them back in the gym with a personal trainer. Can anyone see the megaphone right now? A story like this could be compelling, if produced properly, and given the proper amount of time ... not too much or to little time. This can be drawn out over time and get the fans caring about the talent. How about having someone work with Bobby on his talking? The possibilities are endless. If you don’t want to let the wrestlers wrestle than do something that makes sense. In this case you would be helping lives and when these guys get back in the ring perhaps some of these green kids can learn from men who have a wealth of knowledge. What’s sad is being an expert in wrestling is good for only one industry. Other than that it is a prerequisite to nothing.

It is being reported that there is a power struggle backstage at TNA. I find this almost laughable. You know what, skip the almost part. Does any one of these guys really believe that they are equal to the sum of all the parts? Let’s say that they were. What they are producing now is not a quality product. It is my opinion, as I have stated previously, put someone fresh in charge. I recommend Jim Cornette. If you don’t like that pick someone else ... just pick someone. If it’s possible let them take the foundation of the company and build upon it from the bottom up. If TNA has any chance of breaking out of the minor league syndrome they have been saddled with they have to make some changes. I can make some suggestions quickly. The first thing that needs to be done is Dixie Carter has to understand that the secret of building a strong company is to hire people better than you are. The second thing is that Jeff Jarrett's role has to be redefined and strictly adhered to. If they can not do that then they need to buy him out or send him home. I believe that Jeff has value. I believe he can be productive in the company. I also believe that under the existing scenario he is hindering the company. Do they truly believe that the A.J Styles and Christopher Daniels of the world are the people to take you to the big show? If they are the right people it won’t be working the current style they are working. They are young, good looking kids that can work, not a circus act. The six-sided ring experiment should have been long past over. I don’t think it works. Get rid of it and get back to basics. The fans aren’t going to be tricked into watching your company. This wheel doesn’t need to be reinvented. Hey everyone, remember when Vince wanted to redesign football? I don’t think anyone in Canton, Ohio, was starting to sweat over thinking they had it wrong all these years. Come on Dixie, start taking faster steps towards a successful company and by no means hire anymore talent until you fix these other things. Oh, and one more thing, Karen Angle is HOT no question about it. How do you measure the value that you are getting from her? You spent money that could be used elsewhere on some window dressing? You could not possibly be getting a return on the dollar. If I was Kurt, I would have gotten some advice from Jerry Lawler or Marc Mero about bringing wives and girlfriends into the business before I got my wife involved.

For any of you that are looking for an interesting afternoon, you can invite Ox Baker to your parent’s house. I brought him over one afternoon before he was going to work with “The Original Tonga Kid” Sam Fatu, brother of the former Rikishi, and Umaga in Yonkers, NY. I can assure you it’s an experience you would never forget although you will try.

My very first TV was in 1981. I went to Allentown, Pa; it was the same day that a legend returned to the WWE. I knew no one other than the guys that brought me Mike and Dominic. Upon our arrival they were told by Professor Elliot Maron that Nature Boy Buddy Rogers was inside. It wasn’t long after that he came out and the camera’s started flashing. He was the Nature Boy all day long and he acted like it. The next day we drove the thirty miles to Hamburg, Pa., the above picture was taken at my second day at WWE TV outside the heel dressing room at The Hamburg Field house the regular Wednesday TV location every third week

Editors Note: It wasn’t long after I completed this article that I was contacted By Georgiann Makropoulos in regards to Prof Elliot Maron. It seems that he is having his leg amputated below the knee due to his Diabetes. If your not familiar with this East Coast behind the scenes legend. He was a long time friend too many. He did many, many odd jobs for the McMahon Family. He was a ring jacket taker at MSG, ring announcer, he also used to carry the tapes from Allentown and Hamburg TV to WOR-TV9 in NY so we could all watch them on Saturday night at Midnight. A funny thing about Elliot was that he couldn’t drive, but he could direct you to any town and all the boys called him for directions. I wish him a speedy recovery as I am sure anyone who ever passed through the WWE does as well.