Thursday, November 15, 2007

"Coach's Corner" by Brian Tramel

----The upcoming 4 day “Thanksgiving Thunder” is going to be a treat for local fans. Derrick King is not the only person helping put this together, but he is the major force and intermediary between all the promotions. He is the common dominator. If you are a regular visitor of this site, then take time to go out and buy a toy to bring to one of these events. DK is trying to line up talent for all four shows, that you can see a mix of legends and see some of the best local talent in this area. There will be people coming out to these shows that usually don’t come to the weekly shows. It is up to the current talent pools to make sure that these people will be entertained along with all the regular fans. Guys like Stan Lee, Greg Anthony, Jon Michael and Dustin Starr will be able to shine in front of new people.

----It is funny how I mention someone doing something, but never mention anyone by name. They all came out of the woodwork defending their honor. I did not mention one thing about what they may have “borrowed”, but they were really on the offensive. To paraphrase an old saying about when a lot of people are accused of something the person being offended is the person that is doing it. The word of the week should be GUILTY, because it is surely not JEALOUS.

----MEWA situation is just another of wrestling promotion going wrong within. It seems like the more successful one becomes, then the more trouble it brings. This promotion did not charge admission, but it has to be considered successful in the sense of paying the bills and drawing a crowd. The promotion becomes successful and then everything within starts to explode. It is sometimes the workers, sometimes the promoters, but it always something that tears it apart. Do you know why I consider Memphis Wrestling the top dog in the area?? It might not be the top promotion I like to watch, but it does keep going on. Does it draw the big crowds or ratings?? No way, but they will be celebrating their fifth year in business next May and that not a small feat. Some of you wonder why you draw small numbers or why you can’t keep good workers?? The casual fan does not trust indy wrestling – you have to give them a good product week after week and don’t get the big head.

----I have been accused of many things since doing this site. Many of them are probably are true. I do try to present an honest opinion of a situation. It might not be the way you see it, as we all see perceive things different. You and I could sit together and watch a movie and get two different things out of it. It really doesn’t make either of us wrong. It only makes it really screwed up when it is not the person that is telling the story that is embellishing; it is usually the author of the story. As much as it would make some people happy that I would have heat with Brody Hawk or Psycho, I am sad to say that is not the case. They highly respect what I do and know that I am going to call it that way I see it no matter what it is. Believe the story would have not got any further if it wasn’t for some third parties putting there 2 cents in trying to make it a news story. Those two guys were lucky that nothing worse happened to them. After talking with both of these guys, I am of the belief that both guys are either braver or just plain crazier than me.

----I was talking with someone within TFW last night and we chatted about the upcoming show with the CHIKIRA. I ask if he thought he would draw more because they were going to be there. He answer was “No, because most people do not know who those guys are.” I would have to agree with him as I am not familiar with all the talent. But, so what; right?? At least they are taking the chance and bringing in some guys to work. Apparently the guys got another show on Sunday, but are coming in early to do this one. It is good to see a local promotion try to broaden their fans and reach out to a mostly Northeastern promotion. As I have said, I will be attending the show and I am excited seeing new talent that I would never have been able to see if it wasn’t for TFW.