Wednesday, December 19, 2007

A Piece of my Mind-Dec 18th 2007- by "The Big Cheese" Sal Corrente


I was in South Jersey this weekend and stopped into a health club and tearing up the treadmill was Tammy “Sunny” Sytch. Yes fresh off of her appearance on Monday Night Raw. It was clear to me that she has the ambition and desire to get back in the spotlight. She looked great and we had a brief but good conversation. She was with her boyfriend John who was on the treadmill next to her. She gives him the credit for getting her back on track. Its great when someone can come into our lives and help us redirect our focus back towards the goal line. I would say that in this case John got Tammy focused back on the goal line business wise but also back to a place where she took stock in her self personally. I would love to see her get back into the spotlight and making money again. However, if the WWE really wants to take advantage of her talents they would have to desire something that they don’t seem to value real HEAT. I did suggest in an earlier article that perhaps someone like Sunny could bring more attention to a team like London and Kendrick and I am sure that she could. I just don’t believe that’s the type of thing the company needs. It should be clear to everyone that right now wrestling fans embrace nostalgia and the characters that were around in those days. Why not bring them a little of that kind of style to go along with it. It could be something as simple as putting her with The Highlanders and giving them a push. She could be the force that pushes them to the top. It could also be a lot more creative than that it could play off of her comeback and she could be filled with anger for how she was treated before her comeback started. It could take some thought but I also know that if someone knows how to perform they can make it work. I don’t know what Vince wants other than higher ratings and filled arenas. I think that someone should get him a copy of Who Moved My Cheese for Christmas.

FLASHACK:In the days before I got into this business I was just a fan attending matches at Madison Square Garden. I remember each and every week waiting for TV wrestling to come on. I felt really lucky to be attending the matches each month. In those days wrestling at MSG was held most of the time on Monday nights. I would bring the same intensity to the arena with me that I had watching the matches. It was funny but most of the other fans brought the same intensity with them. It was a day when the arenas were full and the talent could perform. If they couldn’t they had something else really special that got them to stand out and help the company. It was those something special things that made the Monday night at the Garden such a huge part of my life. Those were the days when there was no such thing as the (break match) you know the one where the talent is so horrible that you run to the bathroom or the concession stand or souvenir stand. I know that this type of intensity doesn’t really exist in wrestling arenas these days. There is a simple reason for that The Cheese moved. You can now find the Cheese at UFC events; you guys know what UFC is it’s the place where the fans perceive things to be real. It’s not too late yet The Cheese can be moved back. If the powers that be get their focus back and give people what they want.

I heard a story long ago about Ralph Kiner who was a broadcaster for the N.Y. Mets for many years. He was also a slugger for the Pittsburgh Pirates and a big time home run hitter. Well one year Branch Rickey who was running the Pirates at the time told him that he needed to take a cut in pay. He said a cut in pay? I was going to ask for a raise. It was then that Branch Rickey asked Kiner what place the Pirates had come in that year. He replied last. It was then that Mr. Rickey told him that they could have done that without him. I only mention this story because of the meeting that Dixie Carter held with the talent asking if anyone was unhappy and wanted their release. It will not be any one person in the TNA dressing room that takes them to the top. If getting to the top is even a viable option. I agree if they are not happy they should leave and if they stay theY need to understand they are just a small piece of the puzzle. As a side note if you had never heard of Branch Rickey he was the man who signed Jackie Robinson to play baseball for the Brooklyn Dodgers. I guess he was a guy who had vision. It’s that type of vision that will take a company to the top. It’s that kind of vision that can change momentum. It’s that kind of vision that brought the NWO concept to WCW and changed momentum. It’s that kind of vision that TNA needs it that kind of vision that can’t be taught or trained it has to be hired. The first sign of that type of vision I have seen out of Dixie Carter was that meeting. If Senshi is happier not being at TNA and I am not saying I don’t understand his point then he should be gone. If TNA even has the slightest chance of long term success it has to have team players that are actually on the team.

The picture for this article was also taken by me at the Meadowlands in New Jersey. It is the same show that the Flair and Funk picture that I used in an earlier article is from.

This has been a piece of my mind

"The Big Cheese" Sal Corrente