Monday, January 28, 2008

"Coach's Corner" - The Return of The Rant!!

----Jimmy Blaylock recently fired back at Dustin Starr in his tri-yearly column. Kudos to Jimmy because he didn’t get on some board [mainly his own] and write something bad about Starr anonymously. Jimmy is closer to most of the promotions that he talked about, but I find it peculiar that all those promoters would not use Dustin?? I mean I have watched Dustin’s career since his debut match and this kid has talent. 20 years ago he would have been at the top of the roster in Memphis Wrestling. All good promoters will use guys they may not like, but could help make them money. If you act too much like an ass, then the promoters do not see it in their best interest. I can see Jimmy’s point in his rant, but I have to agree to disagree with Jimmy here – Catch 22. Both these guys have always shown me respect and if I was running a promotion – I would use both of them.

----Jamie Dundee’s interview with Gene Jackson on “Cheap Heat Radio” was not as controversial as some of his other interviews, but I enjoyed it just as much. Jamie is your typical “old school” wrestler – a big time bullshitter. But, hell, that is why he is so freakin over. A good point that he brought up was about the young guys and who they get to work. Jamie grew up learning from guys like Bill, Jerry Lawler, Ricky Morton, Robert Gibson and a slew of good workers. The major feud [brainchild of soon to be CHR guest Randy Hales] that put him on the map was him and Wolfie against Tommy Rich/Doug Gilbert. How can you not learn from these guys?? As Jamie said, the closest thing the younger guys have to someone to mimic is Derrick King. Not a bad thing, but think of this – Jamie could only name one guy that the young guys could learn from. Sad; huh?? The problem is that when you get as good as say DK, Flash Flanagan or Alan Steele, then where do you go??

----Let me say something here that everyone in the business knows, if they are honest with themselves. Every worker in this business along with every writer in the business [including myself] thinks they are more important than they are. Agree?? Izzy Rotten in his interview talked about my stab at him not being considered as “Wrestler of the Year”. Come on, guys…doesn’t everyone think the same way I do?? Wrestler of the year?? This is not a bash at Izzy, because he is one of my guilty pleasures when it comes to workers that I like to watch. He is not a great wrestler, but usually can have good matches with good workers. He does know his psychology, but sometimes gets lost in the middle of the match. Take a look at the guys that got nominated for the RRO Awards – Derrick King, Flash Flanagan and Dustin Starr – is Izzy in that category?? I think not.

----I really enjoyed Trent Van Drisse’s “Jerkin The Curtin” with “Booty Call” and Athena. They were talking about names for tag teams and they said they had also come up with “Big & Tasty” at one time. I thought that was funny and creative. Hell, I named a group of heels “Code Red” one time right after Mountain Dew came out with their “Code Red” product. The group was named for their manager – Auburn Thunder, who we all called “Red”. Not taking anything away from Turner and Morrow, but Athena comes off as one smart lady. I hate it when I listen to stuff from people like her. She needs to be in the business!! She reminds me of guys like Brandon Baxter, who have all the talent in the world, but something just happened that has left them sour to the point of either doing limited stuff or nothing.

----A worker dropped by me a copy of “The Triumph and Tragedy of World Class Championship Wrestling” this past weekend and I took a break to watch it. As Gene Jackson said in an earlier “Cheap Heat”, this was a well done DVD by the WWE. I am little fonder of “Heroes of World Class” a DVD that was done in late 2006. The thing that always stands out when looking at the history of World Class is the crowds that this promotion drew and how freakin over EVERYONE was – Von Erichs were easily #1. But, they had a crew of guys that could work their asses off and that put asses in the seat. When I was watching those interviews of David Von Erich I was just amazed at how good he really was on the mic. I remember matches I seen with him vs Flair that were real good, but this guy was easily going to be a NWA champion. Kerry Von Erich was always my favorite and I guess he actually had more success outside of WCCW than anyone – except for maybe the Japanese tours that David were doing. Two facts that are little twisted are the death of David and the “heart attack” angle with Fritz Von Erich. #1: I have always been told that David died of an exploding stomach, but the reason he died from that [and they allude to it a bit] is that he was so messed up on drugs that he did not know he was hurting. #2: The Fritz “heart attack” was just that. Don’t let Kevin bullshit you on that one. From 1985 to 1988, WCCW received the WON “Most Disgusting Promotional Tactic” – four freakin years in a row!!!