Sunday, February 10, 2008

The Thompson Perspective 2.10.08 By Brian Thompson

In a matter of hours, yours truly and several distinguished guests will have the honor of participating in a monumental occasion for two young professional wrestlers.

This evening, “3 G” Eric Wayne will face Kid Nikels in a 1-hour match that will determine each wrestler’s success or failure in completing their training tenure at the “Nightmare” Ken Wayne School of Professional Wrestling.

The match will take place at the wrestling school, which is located in West Memphis, AR.

Eric and Kid began training approximately two years ago. They had their first official match, against each each other, for Don Bass and Jim Casey at a show at West Memphis’ VFW Hall in November 2006. I had the pleasure of attending that match and I can honestly say it did not resemble a “first match.”

Of course, that “non-first match” feel comes from the excellent training provided by Eric’s father, wrestling legend “Nightmare” Ken Wayne.

Ken had a marvelous career that took him across the country and around the world. In my opinion, he is one of the most underrated performers in our industry’s history. I think it is a shame that many of today’s fans will not get the chance to see a Ken Wayne match live and in person. That’s the sad truth as many of the veterans of my childhood move on to other careers or other aspects of the wrestling business.

I first met Ken in the summer of 2003. When I was still a partner in Lethal Attitude Wrestling (LAW), we were touring several towns in Southeast Missouri and Northeast Arkansas. One of our markets was my native town of Dexter, MO. On one occasion, Ken traveled to the town with Jim Casey, who was managing for LAW at the time.

I interviewed Ken in the locker room area that evening for one of our VHS releases. Ironically, that night began a friendship between Ken and I that endures to this day.

Ken came on board in LAW as a booker to help Derrick King with the chore.
I won’t go into grave details, but later that fall both Ken and I left LAW to pursue other options. Ken continued to wrestle around the country, while I began working as an agent for Bobby Eaton.

However, our paths continued to cross. In late 2004, Ken became a partner with Robert Gibson and another businessman to form All-Pro Championship Wrestling in Columbus, MS. I ended up working with Ken there and our friendship continued.

But all friendship talk aside, I have much respect for Ken Wayne. I get caught in two or three hour long conversations with him all the time. He has so much knowledge. That knowledge unfortunately has been wasted. I’ve heard the knowledge passed on to younger wrestlers only to enter one of the worker’s ears and exit the other. And we wonder why we STILL wrestle in front of 20 paid in crap towns instead of moving up? Makes you think doesn’t it.

Anyway, I was saddened when Ken decided to retire in the spring of 2005. I had the privilege of ring announcing his final match in a Mississippi town for APCW.

While his in-ring career was complete, his career was far from over.

Ken had considered starting a wrestling school for some time. However, working around the country prevented him from focusing primarily on the school. With his in-ring career complete, Ken now had the time to do just that – focus on the school.
He started the school in 2006. I can’t remember the exact number of students, but the first class included Eric and Kid.

Bobby Eaton and I visited the school that spring. I remember seeing Kid for the first time. I wasn’t sure if he would endure. I’m proud to admit to everyone reading this, that I was dead wrong.
He has put in the time, the efforts, the passion – everything that it takes to be successful in this business.

The same goes for Eric. Imagine having to follow in the footsteps of your father. Can he be as good as his dad? It’s a tough challenge, especially as a young wrestler. Now, double that scenario. Eric not only represents his father Ken. He also represents his grandfather, Buddy Wayne.

So after two years of training and a little more than a year of working independents in several states, Eric and Kid will battle for 1-hour. If one of the guys gets pinned or submits, that worker fails the class. However, the match will continue so the other has a chance to complete the hour exam.

And, if they complete the hour and it is not pleasing to Ken Wayne, it still will not matter. Their success or failure lies in his decision-making hands.

They will also get only two rope breaks during the entire hour. After that, a rope break will no longer matter.

I’m proud to be involved with this special evening as the ring announcer and commentator along with my old partner John Steele. We are going to witness something special. I’m glad that Brian Tramel is going to be in attendance to both see the school and the match. I think he will be impressed.

This is the way wrestling training should be done - a long journey that culminates with a major test. You don’t go to college for three weeks and suddenly get a degree. Unfortunately too many of the so-called “workers” in our area and the entire country at this time have that kind of training. Learn three moves and you are a rassler kid! Funny they know three moves and draw about three people. Go figure!

I hope you’ve enjoyed this particular rant session. In the coming weeks, I plan to look at this past week which was a sad week in wrestling with the cancellation of WWE’s Friday Night SmackDown on the CW Network and the termination of Ohio Valley Wrestling’s status as a WWE developmental territory. The OVW deal brought me back in time to when Memphis Championship Wrestling lost its deal in the summer of ’01, when I was working for that company.

I’ll also look at a local former wrestler/manager/booker who I believe is never truly appreciated. I’ll just tease for now with the initials of “BB.” You figure out!

Until next time, take care all.

(Brian Thompson may be reached at bptbookings@yahoo.com)