Thursday, April 03, 2008

The Thompson Perspective 4.3.08 By Brian Thompson

I think at one time or another we've all forgotten just why we are a part of this crazy world of professional wrestling. We get caught up in our own little world (basically our own little wrestling promotions) and find ourselves fighting amongst each other for a small little carrot. Gene Jackson made a great point, during his most recent interview with Randy Hales, to talk about how much negativity exists in wrestling today. As much as I like to jump on that bandwagon too at times and complain about all that is wrong, this past weekend I was reminded about all that is right with wrestling.

An era died this weekend with the final match of "Nature Boy" Ric Flair at WrestleMania 24. I had the privilege of enjoying the show with my wife and a few wrestling related individuals who shall remain unnamed to protect the innocent.

Flair and Shawn Michaels told a nice story that culminated a good weekend for our business. Then, Monday night's Raw ceremony was off the charts. This was easily the best TV we've had in some time. I could get back into negative-flow and talk about what made Monday's Raw so good versus what makes most recent Wrestling TV shows so bad, but I'll avoid doing that.
Two words kept coming up during the weekend that we often forget to say or at least we forget to say them and mean it.

Those two words are "Thank You!"

The entire business had a chance to say "thank you" to Flair Sunday and Monday night.

I think those of us at the independent level forget to be truly thankful. Well, I want to take a few lines in this edition of the "Thompson Perspective" to be thankful.

I thank anyone and everyone who has ever had a hand in helping me during my career. And let me tell you there are many.
There is a whole slew of folks in the St. Louis, MO, area who gave me a chance in May 2000 to start in the wrestling business. Ironically, Saturday I ran into one of them at a Major League Baseball exhibition game in Memphis, TN. Ben Oliver, Sadie Blaze, Mike Sharona, etc. from Gateway, thank you for a nice start.

I owe much gratitude to Terry Golden and the old Memphis Championship Wrestling crew for the golden, no pun intended, opportunity I was given in February 2001 to work for a WWE developmental territory. It was a wonderful experience.

And speaking of Randy Hales, I have a story on him. I was going through a tryout for MCW and I guess in a way Power Pro since the two were working together.

I was brought in as a ring announcer for a pair of shows in Ripley, TN and Covington, TN. And I was nervous as you can get. The place was full of talent such as the Mean Street Posse, Lance Cade, Brian Kendrick, Umaga, Rosey, Victoria, Joey Mercury, Christian York, Charlie & Russ Haas, just to name a few. Factor that in with Bobby Eaton showing up to train and I was like a little kid in a candy store. Anyway, as I'm doing the show and coming back to the broadcast table, Randy Hales is there telling me, "You're doing a good job."

Certainly Randy is much higher on the food chain that I am and probably will ever be in terms of wrestling and for him to say that really meant a lot to me.

Then, later on after I was officially made an MCW announcer, Randy was at the table with me again. One of the local town promoters was joking with Randy about announcing as we all know Randy had a past in that role. He said, "Why don't you get up there Randy?" Hales replied with, "Why? We've got a good announcer right here."

Those are the kind of things that make you feel good and give you the proper confidence. Thank you Randy.

Of course, I could go on and on and thank Bobby Eaton and Ken Wayne for the influences they've had on me. THANK YOU!

Derrick King, Kelly Warner, Brian Tramel, Ricky Morton, Robert Gibson, Tracey Smothers, Bill Dundee, Brandon Baxter and so many others have helped me along the way in various aspects....thank you guys.

So as we close the era of Ric Flair, let's not close the era of humbleness that he left behind. Let's try to be respectful of our veterans and truly try to learn from them. Remember, they have paved a way for us in so many ways. And don't forget to respect your peers. We're all in the same boat here. Let's try to row in the same direction.

Last but not least, "THANK YOU" for reading!

(Brian Thompson may be reached by e-mail at bptbookings@yahoo.com)