Saturday, August 30, 2008

Michael Johns chimes in on the Kevin Lawler situation.."Life Isn't Fair"

I wanted to chime in on Kevin Lawler for a minute. I've been around Kevin numerous times, as has most of the boys. You know the drill, though. If you're at a Memphis show, and not employed by them, you're still a mark. I was around him some in Dyersburg, where he worked as Kevin Christian. Man. Watch a Brian/Derrick match and a Kevin/Derrick match, and tell me why Kevin isn't a Superstar. He's a GREAT talent. I'd go on record to say he's better than Brian.

I read Dustin's blog, and I will say that editing can make anybody Attila the Hun, or St. Peters best friend. It depends on what the editor is trying to do. Attila usually draws more ratings.

Good people have bad luck, and make mistakes. All I will say for Kevin is, he's always treated me like a person. There's never been any sign of an ego, or like he looked at me as a mark, or anything. All our conversations have been as normal as any I'd have with a friend. I called him once about a spot as our Champ, and he politely declined, as he wasn't working as much, and offered to let me call Brian. Again, I was looking to bring back Kevin/Derrick, so, I wanted Kevin. I declined Brian's number, and thanked him for his time. Kevin just sticks out in my mind, because, I can memorably list the people that rank "high" in the business that have been genuinely nice to me. Kevin, The King, Jimmy Hart, C4P, Dr. Tom. Dr. Death, Baldo, Terry Taylor, Billy Travis, Tracy Smothers and Brandon Baxter. That list right there is of people who interacted with me the same way I saw them interact with anyone else, worker or otherwise. This isn't to say that I haven't been treated good by alot of other workers, BT included (even if he did break my nose lol), it's saying, with these guys, there never was an "agenda". I think the world of Derrick, Dustin, DSK, Kilo, Jeff O'Dell, and several others, but, having to have "worked" with them, stuff arises. I can't explain it, but, you get the jest. Others, like Mike Todd, Rick Marx, Brian Steele, Bill Dundee, Big Hoss and Rude, I am friends with outside the sport, so, they aren't included in my list.

I'm not saying Kevin's innocent, or that I think he's guilty. I'm saying Kevin Lawler is a genuinely nice guy. Stuff like this isn't supposed tohappen to them. Life isn't fair.....