Friday, September 12, 2008

A Piece of my Mind Sept 12th 2008 by "The Big Cheese" Sal Corrente


I am aware that Corey Maclin makes very few public statements and the ones that he does make are, generally, not for the internet world. It was leaked out that Memphis Wrestling was going to come back bigger and better. We heard stories of bringing in more name talent. I was waiting anxiously to see what surprises that Corey has in store for us. Well what a surprise it has been. I believe we are seeing Memphis Wrestling at its worst. The whole wrestling professor thing is a complete joke. How old does the guy doing it look? Where is he supposed to be going to get all this information? I know he must be going upstairs to the library and reading it in the Jerry Jarrett Encyclopedia Britannica.

I have heard various comments directed towards one of Jerry Lawler’s friends Grady Watson. He has been used in various instances on Memphis Wrestling. It has been the opinion of many fans that he really had no place participating on the show. I would have thought that Grady would have been perfect for the Wrestling Professor spot. He is of age to have seen a lot of this stuff first hand. It would have been easy to go either way with it. You could have had him get every answer wrong or every answer right. I believe that it would have worked well both ways. It would have been an intelligent move and given Lawler the opportunity to use his friend and actually get value out of it.

The WWE creative team should take a lesson from John McCain. It is clear that John McCain was on the losing end of a two horse race. He could have gone in a traditional direction and more than likely went down fighting gallantly. I am not saying that the McCain/Palin ticket will win, but I am saying they got people’s attention. They have the opportunity people are waiting for them to do intelligent things waiting for a reason to support that ticket into the White House. If the WWE could just get the people’s attention they could perhaps make a move for the next real surge of business. The “who knows what era” will begin when, once again, Vince McMahon is surprised at someone who turns into an overnight superstar. We will all know when it happens the first sign will be the creative team all huddled in a corner scratching their heads.

They have a hard time getting the people’s attention because they are too busy booking for their own entertainment instead of to the people who pay the bills. It’s hard to imagine that any real thought goes into a lot of what is happening in the WWE. A classic example would be the Colin Delany situation. Is TV time so cheap these days that they can put all this time into a kid and just cut him loose? How can a company afford to squander such valuable time by getting zero return on their money? I know it seems easy to sit back and tear this stuff to shreds, but the truth is it would be easier for any one of a number of people to do it backstage. The truth of the matter is this the McMahons want "yes" people around them. They always have and they always will. I know over the years every now and then someone has been in a position to leverage the McMahons. It doesn’t happen often and when it does you can bet it is strictly because the McMahons are lining their pockets off the guys sweat in a big way. If Vince wants to hear how great he is or how brilliant he is he should stand in front of the mirror more. If he wants to start the next big era of success in the WWE he needs to open his eyes and ears.

I watch TNA and I see Curry Man, Shark Boy and Super Eric and when I do I think wow WWE would make a FORTUNE on marketing these guys. When TNA can pull that off that is when it will really become fun for them. The other person that could be huge marketing dollars in WWE is Awesome Kong. She isn’t the same old thing recycled through. She will get people’s attention all that WWE needs to go on its next big run is for them to find the Awesome Kong of the men’s side of the company. Hmmm TNA found her, could they possible find the next big thing on the men’s side too.

I would ask everyone to guess who this is with me in the picture but I don’t think anyone would get it. This picture is of me and the latest entry into the WWE-Manu (Afa Anoai Jr). What a difference twenty two years can make. I wish my friend all the luck in the world now that he has made it to the big time.

This has been a piece of my mind