Saturday, September 06, 2008

A Piece of my Mind Sept 6th 2008 by "The Big Cheese" Sal Corrente


This week we lost another legend who was also a WWE Hall of Famer Killer Kowalski. I had the opportunity to meet Killer Kowalski one time, I believe somewhere in New England. I cannot say that I really ever interacted with him or really even understood his legacy. The most that I really knew about him was that, shortly before I got involved in wrestling, was that Killer and Big John Studd were The Executioners. They were WWWF Tag Team Champions managed by the most hated WWWF and WWF manager of all time Capt. Lou Albano. It wasn’t until recently when the news of Killer’s condition reached me that I asked Bruno Sammartino to tell me what Killer Kowalski meant to the wrestling business. We also talked about Bruno’s matches with Killer Kowalski. It was then that I finally understood the impact of this man on our business. How many pro wrestlers, especially from the golden era of wrestling, do you hear mentioned on ESPN when they pass away? It isn’t many and, from what I understand in the case of Walter “Killer” Kowalski, it was well earned.

Injuries in pro wrestling right now seem to be at an epidemic proportion. The amount of talent that really seems to be capable of stepping up and being an A+ performer is perhaps at its worst. There has to be something to it. I do realize styles are much different today, but it isn’t just aerial stars that are injured. In the old days guys worked a much tougher style. Find me the wrestler out there today with cauliflower ears. In a time where top shelf money generating wrestlers are scarcer than hen’s teeth keeping guys healthy has to be a TOP priority. I am sure that lifestyle decisions play into these injuries in many cases. When is something intelligent going to be done to extend careers and stop interrupting the programs that should be driving the company.

There are people that will step up and come to the forefront. They will help the company the best that they can within the limitations of what they have to offer. I do not believe we are going to find the next "big thing" with among any on the current roster. They say that Vince McMahon is best under pressure and that being boxed into a corner really helps motivate him. I got news for you Vince go get some talent!You are under pressure. You are boxed in a corner. Stop spending so much time yelling into headsets ... do your job. The broadcasters you have do not need you hounding them to death during broadcasts. If you don’t like the job they are doing then go back to doing it yourself. I don’t think you could find one person to believe that Jerry Lawler, Jim Ross, Mick Foley or anyone else needs Vince in their ear. If he has some points that he wants covered that is his prerogative. Those points should be discussed at a pre-production meeting. I do realize things can change on the fly occasionally. It’s not like anything in that company is spontaneous. If there is the occasional situation that comes up someone can relay that information to the announcer. The behavior we are hearing about from Vince McMahon is ridiculous. He made TNA a better company and WWE a weaker company with his latest raving.

The latest news that comes out of Florida Championship Wrestling is that their TV taping drew about fifty people. The first few events did turn away business which was still not a big number but at least it was turn away business. The current results tell me that the so called "stars of tomorrow" are not many. I have been hearing good reports about one or two of the guys down there. I believe they will be called up soon. But after that what happens to the other seventy guys and girls?

The first thing to remember is that in most businesses today branding is essential. The WWE brand is recognized as the symbol of excellence in our business. So why not call the territory WWE Florida? That would make much more sense. The Florida Championship brand for many years meant something in the Sunshine State. I remember watching it in NY on Channel 47 the Spanish station. We used to get it every week. I loved watching Dusty Rhodes, Mister Florida, the Funks, the Brisco’s, Blackjack Mulligan, Barry Windham, Mike Graham and Sir Oliver Humperdink. The glory days of Florida Championship Wrestling cannot be revived by a bunch of kids that no one knows. The whole business model makes no sense at all. The people running the school I have no issue with. Dusty Rhodes is one of the best promo guys ever. T only difference is that Dusty’s abilities were intrinsic ... it was natural. The other guys Steve Keirn has drawn money before and understands how it’s done. Then you have guys like Dr. Tom Prichard, Bill Kidman and the newest addition Norman Smiley. It isn’t the teachers that are the problem.

I am a firm believer that Babe Ruth could line up one hundred guys and tell them all his home run hitting secrets. At the end of the lesson more than likely not one of those guys is going to be able to hit many more home runs than they could before the Babe spoke. It’s the same thing down at FCW. If these guys don’t have it the great teachers at FCW won’t make a huge difference. It’s been said for years and years that you can’t make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear. I never thought that Vince McMahon would be the guy to prove it to the world.

I want to wish my buddy Mick Foley the best of luck on his future endeavors especially since I understand WWE failed to do that. The reason that Mick left WWE is almost as pathetic as the multitude of reasons that you hear Verne Gagne lost Hulk Hogan to Vince McMahon. It is really a shame that this business isn’t run with more brains than ego and arrogance. The good news is that Mick has always been good with money. It’s a great thing when someone doesn’t have to trade their pride in to feed their family.

I think it’s high time that Memphis Wrestling gives a title belt to Andy Taylor and the Junior Heavyweight title to Barney Fife. Then they can hand the tag team belts to Fred and Lamont Sanford. If they did that perhaps they can get some decent ratings. It appears the people in Memphis are much happier watching The Andy Griffith Show and Sanford and Son. Who can blame them? The people of Memphis don’t want to see a bunch of tapes from the Northeast and how many times can you rerun stuff people have seen over and over again? It is time to start producing new shows. If they don’t start soon I can’t imagine that they will be on the air very long.

This photo was taken on one of the occasions that I asked my friend Bruno Sammartino to come down and guest referee a match. If my longtime rival “Gorgeous” Gary Royal was on the card I normally ended up wrestling him whether in a tag match with one of the Samoans or in a single match. I am sure Gary was thrilled as we all were when we first got a chance to take a photo with wrestling’s living legend.

This has been a piece of my mind