Saturday, February 28, 2009

A Piece of my Mind Feb 28th 2008 by "The Big Cheese" Sal Corrente


The last couple of weeks ” Rowdy” Roddy Piper and Ricky “The Dragon” Steamboat got into what started as verbal altercations that eventually turned physical with Chris Jericho. If you talk to most people, if not everyone that saw it, they were very happy with Steamboat and Piper's delivery of the scripted words. Isn’t it the same writers, week in and week out, who write what is said on Monday Night Raw by today’s superstars? What’s different from the semi regular boredom that is Monday Night Raw and the presentation put on by these two legends? The difference is having two guys who know how to deliver a line and transfer emotion. A great line is a great line but would Shakespeare be the same if it was being delivered by Pee Wee Herman?

In keeping with the Hall of Fame tone of the past few weeks, I am glad that my friend Kevin Von Erich will be representing his family during induction. I feel lucky to have had the chance to work with the Kerry and Kevin both on multiple occasions. I spoke to Fritz only one time to confirm the news of Kerry’s death. As a booker, I found the Von Erichs some of the easier talent to deal with. I traveled with both of them to some events and I still remember to this day the convenience store clerk who practically went into cardiac arrest upon the site of Kerry Von Erich. What was really strange about it was that it was in Tampa, FL on our way to the Manatee Civic Center in Kerry’s Pre-WWF days. I was surprised that a young girl in Tampa even knew of Kerry.

I can remember traveling to Imperial, CA with Kevin and going into some restaurant in the desert. I didn’t know much about the area at the time. Kevin wanted to order turtle soup. The Von Erichs deserve to be in the Hall of Fame. It’s a shame that the best worker of the family David didn’t survive longer. I never had the pleasure of meeting him but I can remember his alliance with another inductee Dory Funk, Jr. when they worked the Florida territory.

I am assuming that Michael Hayes would be the one inducting the family into the HOF. The feud between the Von Erichs and The Freebirds won’t be forgotten in my lifetime if ever. I had a chance to work with all of the Birds at one time or another and be in their company. I was always a big fan of the team and the feud. I can only imagine that there will be a time when The Freebirds will be inducted in the HOF. Perhaps at that time Kevin can return the favor.

At Hall of Fame time you tend to dwell on memories quite a bit. The conventions that take place during the year are a great opportunity to share not only the fans memories but memories that the wrestlers have as well. That’s one of the reasons that they exist and many fans attend regularly there are so many feel good moments when a convention is run properly and promises are delivered on.

This picture is of Diamond Dallas Page, Kevin Von Erich, and "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan taken at WrestleReunion 1.

This has been a piece of my mind.