Friday, March 13, 2009

A Piece of my Mind March 13th 2009 by "The Big Cheese" Sal Corrente


This past Saturday I was I was traveling back to an area that I lived in for twelve years Charlotte NC. I had a layover in the Atlanta airport. I just happened to notice a man off to my left who looked familiar. So I went over and introduced myself and mentioned the name of a mutual friend we have who represents this gentleman on personal appearances. I had wanted to meet this man for many years since he was a television icon. There are few people who reach the level of fame and success that this man has reached. At some point I asked him where he was raised and he said Manhattan. I told him that I work very closely with Bruno Sammartino and asked him if he had ever heard of Bruno? He responded by saying that he used to watch him all the time when he was younger. He asked me to please pass along his most sincere regards. I said "let me do one better than that". So I called Bruno on the phone when he answered I handed the gentleman the phone he said “Hello Bruno my name is Henry Winkler”. I stood by and listened to a man I have enjoyed as a part of the television show Happy Days bring the name and character Fonzie to life and a household word. When I had a chance to speak with Bruno later in the day he was also very appreciate for the opportunity to speak with Henry. It appears that both men were a fan of each other.

Can anyone disagree that the biggest inside joke up to now is Chris Jericho running down wrestlers who perform at high schools? He makes statements that would lead someone to believe that anyone who wrestles at high schools doesn’t belong on WWE programming. The first thing I would like to state is that the McMahon family ran shows in high schools for many years. These shows, most times if not all times, were fund raisers for some local charity. The very first show that I promoted was a fund raiser for my high school’s alumni association. We had a packed house and a great main event that had “Rowdy” Roddy Piper, “Mr. Wonderful” Paul Orndorff and “Dr.D” David Shultz vs. Tony Atlas, Rocky Johnson and S.D. “Special Delivery” Jones. We had a packed house, raised money for the Saunders Trades and Technical High School alumni association, and the then WWF did well that night also. I am not sure how a company that has run so many high school events over the years can allow one of their performers run down the whole process. It is possible there will be some huge payoff at the end of this angle that sets the record straight and hopefully there will be.

The second biggest inside joke is that while Chris Jericho is running down the process that arguably the most well known wrestler performing on almost a weekly basis in high schools is WWE’S own Jerry “The King” Lawler. I don’t know who is going to wrestle Chris Jericho at Wrestlemania but at this point doesn’t it really need to be Jerry “The King” Lawler to fight for his pride after hearing week after week how what he does is embarrassing and degrading? If it is embarrassing and degrading what does it say about WWE having Jerry as their announcer? It’s not like anyone in WWE doesn’t know what Jerry is doing out there. I have no idea how much longer Jerry Lawler will be an in ring performer, but what better way for him to make his Wrestlemania debut than against Chris Jericho at Wrestlemania? I find the Wrestlemania card so far to be lackluster and subpar in comparison to other Wrestlemania’s. I do admit that I would have interest in seeing Jerry Lawler wrestle Chris Jericho at Wrestlemania.

This picture is from the World Wrestling Legends PPV from March 2006 it is of the soon to be inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame Koko B. Ware. My friend "The Birdman" is looking forward to it and I am very happy for him.

This has been a piece of my mind