Tuesday, October 06, 2009

The Golden Circle "Broaden Your Horizons" by Greg Anthony

Can anyone guess who my favorite Batman villain is? Anybody, anybody? My all time favorite Batman villain is Mr. Freeze. The greatest Batman villain of all time is.... well... The Joker. Do you know what other Batman villain is pretty high on my list? The Clock King! That's right The Clock King. I also like The Mad Hatter and Clayface. So what does any of this have to do with professional wrestling? Its really me just trying to make a point. The point is that wrestling should have something for everyone.

Now its no secret that my favorite wrestler of all time is "The Nature Boy" Ric Flair. A choice that would be in line with The Joker being favorite Batman villain. One of friend's little brother isn't a wrestling fan anymore but when he was, his favorite wrestler was Bam Bam Bigelow. Now who accomplished more in their career? I think it would be safe to say Flair but that didn't stop an 8 year old boy from jumping off couches to do a flying head butt every 3 minutes.

My parents are divorced and when my mother remarried, her husband liked watching wrestling with me. Now when I was a kid I hated all the bad guys and loved all the good guys and my step dad usually cheered the opponent of whomever I was rooting for. He liked Flair and The Four Horsemen but I only saw him hold up the four fingers a handful of times but there was a time when he patted himself on the back ala Barry Horowitz on a daily basis.

Wrestling should be as diverse in the world we live in. Too many cookie cutter wrestlers out there right now. I miss Bam Bam, Horowitz, Al Snow w/Head, Yokozuna, Haystacks Calhoun and a host of others that didn't resemble Ric Flair but contributed so much to our business. Mr.Freeze may have not broken any box office records like The Joker but I'd go out of my way to see him. Diversity can only broaden the horizon of its art and I promise the same rings true in wresting and when "The Golden Boy" Greg Anthony makes a promise its as good as gold.

----Greg Anthony is a regular on the local area circuit. He won RRO Booker of the Year 2008 and is listed in the top 5 of the RRO Top 10 2008. Greg currently can be seen tagging with legend Bobby Eaton and Brian Thompson as “Midnight Gold”.