Thursday, March 11, 2010

The Golden Circle: "The Power of the Internet" by Greg Anthony

----I sent Greg a note when I got this edition and said to the extent, "Are you putting me over or insulting me here?" LOL He brings up some good points. I think the reason my opinion has gotten so much merit is because of the same reason Greg says - he respects what I say, but does not always agree with me. I pride myself on having an unique view of the business - I still love the business as a fan, but I also know how stuff should be done. Overall I am going to praise someone I like [duh] over someone I don't like - but it is never based on "friendship" - it is based on what I consider their worth to the product. I also am able to see things that others in this area seem to not be able to do - I see the mistakes I made in the past and try to help people that do the same stupid stuff. And, btw, after reading this I got a good laugh out of the "what it feels like to lock up with that individual", which is 100% true. I laugh because even though TGB is one of my most respected guys by his peers in this area, they always say to me, "He wants to call the whole match.." LOL But, on the other hand, the only good match I ever had in my life was a match TGB called for me.

I am amazed at how much the internet has influenced the world. I'm part of a generation that will be able to tell our kids about a time before the internet. It has changed the way we interact, converse and live. Its changed the way every business functions, even wrestling, hell.. especially wrestling. The changes have been both positive and negative. No matter which side of the fence you are on, you cannot deny the power of the internet.

Before anyone can point out the irony of me writing an article about the power on the internet while on the internet, let me say I am aware. Thank you, smartasses. But since you've got the ball rolling lets use rasslinriot itself as an example. The owner/operator of this site, Brian Tramel, is a friend of mine. He gave me one of my first bookings away from the federation that gave us our break. Since then we become close friends.

Now I respect BT's opinion because he's a friend not because he owns a website. You might be surprised how many people out there are determining their value based on his opinion. Now just because we're friends doesn't mean I agree with him 100%. We've disagreed about workers, matches, finishes and just wrestling in general. The power of the internet has defiantly took his opinion's worth to another level.

The one thing that is that BT can rave about a particular worker but he doesn't know what it feels like to lock up with that individual. Someone that he likes may be, as we say, "Like Pulling Teeth". BT loves wrestling creatively and sometimes will give his thoughts on maybe how the booking should have been handled. What BT isn't , is in that locker room and aware the deciding factor of that booking decision.

I guess what I'm trying to say is don't pin your hopes and dreams on a website's opinion. Not this one or any other. Rather find several close friends in the business that you know, they know what they are talking about and they'll be honest with you and themselves. BT has praised me and openly disagreed with me in this forum. I've argued with his disagreements, and even some of his praises(although not publicity), LOL. I don't take it personally, because its not personal. Its business and I've been a person that encouraged him to voice his opinion. What kind of hypocrite would I be if I told him to voice his opinion as long as it wasn't negative against me? What I'll tell anyone about critique or praise is consider the source.