Monday, August 14, 2006

FEATURE ARTICLE: “Memphis Wrestling – Talent, Writing and the Egos”

“Memphis Wrestling – Talent, Writing and the Egos”

----The official statement from Pamela Bridges, Program Director of UPN 30 WLMT is “Memphis Wrestling was moved to 10 PM to accommodate the CW programming on Saturday morning.”

----After over 48 hours of hearing everyone strongly protesting the Memphis Wrestling TV show move, I have more to say myself. Memphis Wrestling traditionally has always been on at 11:00 AM on Saturday morning. I do know at one time they tried to air it at 10:00 AM, but still never got the viewer ship as the 11:00 AM spot. Everyone is saying it is the end of Memphis Wrestling as we know it. Do I think it will draw numbers at 10:00 PM. No, I do not. But, I have seen strange things happen in this biz. The proof of good numbers will be the next big Southaven show. If they can promote a show that draws more than 300 people, then I will be surprised.

----Is Memphis Wrestling going to die?? Well, after watching for the last three months analyzing and looking at the product with a fine tooth comb I think the show is dead already. I try to be positive and there are some positive things on the show, but as a whole there are so many problems with talent, writing and egos that this show will never be good.

----TALENT: The show has some real good young guys that are just begging to be stars. “Picture Perfect” [Chris O’Neal/John Michael], Kevin White, “Too Cool 2” [Flex/Tim Grind], Tatt2, Stan Lee and even the “Clowns” have talent. But, then they are all over shadowed by White teaming with the old wrestlers like Brickhouse Brown. White with the right angle could be a good singles star in Memphis. Has Flex/Grind actually had a good feud?? They were feuding with Reggie B Fine/Brickhouse Brown at one time?? It was funny in parts, but never given the chance to really shine. Tatt2 needs a lot of work. Stan Lee gets a push, because of Derrick King, but Lee has the potential to be a big babyface. Grady Watson gets more air time and some of the young guys!!! I actually think Jethro has some talent [green, but he is a rookie], but he has to drop that Hillbilly gimmick and try to do that “Devil Rejects” gimmick everyone is raving about from Ripley. My rant about the “Clowns” stays the same – why push this stupid ass gimmick, when “Naughty By Nature” [Rude/Pokerface] can either be a great heel or baby team.

----Finally, you have O’Neal/Michael getting one of the best reactions of any of the workers on TV [and I was told by someone in the crowd that the marks even cheered for them as they left] and they are squashed by two overweight out of shape workers that all the boys think suck.. Bill Nasty has always been a nice guy and works hard to do what he does, but Murdoch?? Let’s just say -- this is a show when guys like Dustin Starr and Alan Steel can’t get work, but Ricky Murdoch does. WTF??

----WRITING: The top babyface of this promotion is Cory Maclin. I will use a joke that Jim Cornette once told me about myself – “As a wrestler, you are a good writer..” Well, Maclin as a wrestler, you are a good announcer. Wait?? You are not even a good announcer. Your “big move” and “whatta move” over exaggerations make the show sometimes unbearable. Then, you decide you want to be a wrestler so that all the major babyface storylines are built around you. The angles are not bad, as in the actual writing, but it would be better if you put some of the young guys in the roles. The other storylines of the shows are non-existent. I might see a Derrick King storyline with Mr America and the White/Dundee storyline, but they spend no time to get people to understand and have feelings for the babyfaces. King is now doing something with Jerry Calhoun?? It might just be for two weeks, but why try to push Calhoun?? The Dundee turn was too quick and was just because Lawler turned.

----The reason I liked the Nate The Rat skit this week is because I am anticipating an angle where Nate tries to get someone to collect a bounty on Lawler. Lawler/Hart had a great run with this type of angle and it might work again. Nate brings in Lord Humongous [and I think it was Gary Nations] next week, so maybe this will continue a story. Who knows?? Most of the talent has no idea where their character or storylines are going because Maclin usually don’t write the show until 10:00 AM on Saturday mornings. And if Lawler doesn’t like it or he is pissed because you might have missed a move or you are not kissing his ass, then he will either just job you out or punish you.

----THE EGOS: Everyone will probably think that Lawler will be considered as the biggest ego here; right?? Well, he probably does have the biggest one. But, he does have a REASON to have one. All due respect, Lawler is true legend in this area. I think that Maclin is the ego-monster here and he will not let anyone even try to get over. He pushes himself and I have heard more than one worker say, “If I was 120 lbs and black, then I would get a push!!” Don’t flood my e-mail account with comments that I am a racist or whatever. Because if you will be honest with yourself, you will know what I am saying here. Along with Maclin trying to say every cool new urban slang, I sometimes think I am watching Memphis Wrestling airing on BET. Besides Mr. America and Kevin White what other two white guys have got a huge push?? Flex/Grind---AND they are pretending to be black!!!!

----Lawler’s ego is still written all over the show. Here is a guy that didn’t even say hi to all the Memphis guys that were backstage working as WWE extras. He just pretends they do not exist, because remember – he is the KING. And he will put guys in stupid gimmicks and they will just do it, because he is the KING!! Think about this?? What wrestler has Lawler helped get a WWE deal?? No one!!! And, also think about this – Maclin/Lawler had one of the longest god-awful feuds, which I think drew one good house.

----I know this probably comes off as a rant from a bitter old man or something. It just pisses me off when talent is so abused. Maclin has the potential to have good wrestling shows; it is just the fact that he does not know how to do it. If I was them, I would just start airing the old “Opening the Vault” full one hour shows and promote a “Legends” show every 3 months. Maybe then, some of the talent would migrate to other areas and get breaks that they deserve.